Thursday, December 29, 2016

Barnwarming

On Christmas Eve, one of my mother's neighbors came over to drop off a plate of holiday cookies. She was accompanied by her daughter, Hannah. Mom asked Hannah what she wanted for Christmas, and Hannah said, "A horse."

At this point, I got involved in the conversation. It turned that, until fairly recently, Hannah's family had owned a horse. They'd kept it near the Loma Alta ring in Altadena, where I'd once ridden Snickers, Navajo, Chipper and others. We shared a few stories, and before she left, I told Hannah that I thought Santa would bring her a pony.

I didn't say what kind of pony.

The real, live, breathing ones don't actually make good gifts, but plastic ponies are a different matter entirely. I still have a small stash of Breyers living in my Mom's basement. Most are treasured members of my carpet herd and not candidates for re-homing, but I was able to find a couple I could (just) bare to part with.
I also decided to give her my old Breyer barn.
With Ryan's help, I hauled everything upstairs, cleaned it up a little and then we carried the barn and horses to Hannah's house.
No one was home, so we left everything on the front porch. 
Oh, how I would have loved a surprise like this when I was Hannah's age! I wish I could have seen her face when she came home and found it.
I know I'll miss seeing those horses next time I'm in California, but I have no regrets. Sometimes giving really is better than getting or keeping. I hope Hannah enjoys owning Nick of Time and Love N Kisses as much as I did.

4 comments:

  1. This is so kind and generous of you, Jennifer. That little girl had to have been over the moon when she saw her new ponies and stable. Sending good energy into the universe--

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of "Toy Story" when the beloved toys are passed on to a new generation. It's hard to give them away, but they are treasures for their new owner. Lucky girl! And very, very nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a totally special and self-less act of kindness! Oh to be a fly on the wall to witness that little girls joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful story. You are so awesome! <3

    ReplyDelete