Thursday, December 8, 2016

Well padded

I have been making traditional scale English saddles for almost fifteen years, but in all that time, I've yet to produce a single fitted pad that I really, truly liked.
Earlier this year, Rachel Fail wrote a pair of saddle pad tutorials, both of which were featured on this blog. I was particularly interested in the fitted pad instructions because they seemed easy enough for even a non-sewer like me to follow. 
Yesterday, I decided to test that theory.
The first attempt was not so successful. 
It looks okay in pictures, but in person, it's extremely asymmetrical and doesn't even sort of lie flat.  
So I tried again... and again. 
In this case, the third time was the charm. This is still not as symmetrical as I'd like... 
and I really don't love the messy underside... 
 but it fits well and looks great under the saddle. Hurray!
There's room for improvement, of course, but I feel like I'm finally on the way to making saddle pads worthy of my saddles. Thanks for the help, Rachel. Maybe when I've made seven hundred and ninety seven more of these, they will look as good as yours!

3 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! In fact it made me do a double-take when I saw the thumbnail of the blog post on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that last photo is my new favorite BCS tack photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good since the saddle was made side by side with yours. They are as identical as any two BCS saddles can be.

      Delete