Monday, August 25, 2014

Snickers

I met Snickers the day I returned Cinnamon to Tom Sawyer Day Camp.  It was 1983 and I was fourteen.
One of my classmates had leased Cinnamon during the previous school year.  By December, she'd lost whatever interest she'd had in riding, and I had taken over Cinnamon's care.  It had been a wonderful six months, and the only thing that made losing Cinnamon bearable was the fact that I, too, was going to spend the summer working at Tom Sawyer.
At that time, the Tom Sawyer horses were boarded in a pasture at Flintridge Riding Club in La Canada, California.  There were nearly thirty horses in the pen, but my eye was immediately drawn to little Appaloosa pony.  Her bright chestnut coat was heavily roaned, making her look almost pink.  She lifted her head and fixed one white rimmed eye on me.  My heart skipped a beat, and I thought, "Oh, if only Dawn had leased that one!"
Immediately, I banished that traitorous thought.  Cinnamon was such a nice pony.  I would never wish away my time with her.  Besides, on closer inspection, the new pony wasn't all that special.  She was really small with a common head and a ewe neck.  She wasn't nearly as pretty as Cinnamon.  No pony was.  Cinnamon was the best.
All of that was true, but still...  I couldn't stop thinking about the roany pony.  She was the first horse I asked about when camp started the next week.  

"Oh, that's Snickers," Ginger told me.  "She's a knot-head."

That seemed to be the general consensus.  None of the returning staff had anything good to say about Snickers.  Because I desperately wanted to fit in, it wasn't long before I, too, adopted the party line.
And you know, she kind of was a knot-head.
But... I like knot-heads and secretly I continued to like Snickers.    
As the summer drew to a close, prospective leasers came to try the camp horses.  One by one, all the "good" horses found winter homes.  Cinnamon was one of the first to go.  That was no surprise.  She really was a nice pony.  
Fortunately for me, Snickers was not a nice pony.  She was a knot-head, and no one wanted to lease a knot-head.  Eventually she and the seven other unclaimed camp horses were trailered to their winter home at Siason Stables in Duarte.   I went with them, and for the next nine months, Snickers was mine.
To be continued.

18 comments:

  1. She looks so cute!
    reminds me a little of Rosie (my mini)...:)
    ~CBL
    P.S. There is a 40% chance that I could go to High Country Live. My dad is preaching that Sunday morning and I don't know if my mom is willing to take be but who knows!
    P.P.S. Where do I get tags? I learned it isn't necessary for documentation of a popular breed, but if you have a good documentation (even if a well known breed) will that make you place higher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can usually buy tags at WalMart or any office supply store OR you can do what I usually do and borrow them from Jane and Teresa at the show!

      ;)

      Delete
    2. OH....I could do that. I will "borrow" them fro somebody else!

      ...you make me laugh..:)
      ~CBL

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we all need a knot head :) Your drawing really reminds me of Rich Ruddish circa San Domingo illustrations. Love that style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice compliment! Thank you!

      I always liked this picture because it really captured Snickers' personality. I suspect that why I still have it all these years later!

      Delete
  3. How much on average does it cost for tiffany purdy to customize model?
    ~Amya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiffany and I have a pretty uncomplicated arrangement when it comes to trades. She gets what she wants and I get what I want and no money changes hands. I really can't speak to her official sales practices other than I'm pretty sure she's not taking commissions.

      Delete
  4. OMG... I love everything about this entry (except that it's a cliff hanger!) Also, I'm totally calling Julio a knot-head the next time he is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Everything was a knot-head or a meat-head that summer, with meat-head being the slightly greater insult.

      :)

      Delete
  5. Great post. I enjoyed reading it.
    -Ava

    ReplyDelete
  6. And she always smelled sooooo good when she came home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking at that last photo, I sure wish board still costed only that much!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, does this post about Snickers mean that Tiffany finished her model portrait of her? Ooh I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering, would a peter stone design a horse be able to show in custom or would it still be considered OF?
    ~AHG488

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHG488, are you an American Heritage Girl?

      Delete
    2. No it stands for something else, I just don't like using my name on the internet
      ~AHG488

      Delete
    3. I totally understand, I don't either!

      Delete
  10. Snickers looks like the Trad. Cody in the one picture, same foreleg up. I guess it proves that's a legitimate pose! :)

    ReplyDelete