Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Road trip recap, part one

We left Friday afternoon and drove into the night.
Our first stop was Margaret Balch's house in Kearney, Nebraska. It was well after ten o'clock when we arrived, and I forgot to get a photo of the two of us. However, I did manage to take pictures of Margaret's awesome 1:9 scale Christmas display.
I spy a tiny gift bag!
After a short visit, we said goodbye to Margaret and checked into our hotel.
The dogs were really excited to be out of the car.
Especially this one.
Double trouble.
After an extended playtime, everyone put on their pajamas and eventually went to sleep.
Saturday dawned early and cold. We piled back into the car and headed east into the sunrise.
We knew this was going to be a long day, so we stopped in Grand Island, Nebraska to stock up on coffee and the World's Best Cake.
Unfortunately, we arrived a little too early. The Chocolate Bar didn't open until nine, so we threw snowballs and shivered while we waited. I was skeptical, but I have to admit that Carol was right. That cake was worth it.
After that, it was back in the car. We drove and drove and eventually crossed into Iowa.
 Then we drove and drove some more.
To combat the boredom, I started taking selfies with the dogs.
Tank is really good at selfies.
Carol snuck into one, too!
Finally, we reached Des Moines.
Carol dropped me off downtown so I could spend the day with my friend and fellow hobbyist, Amanda Bowe, who I met earlier this year at BreyerWest.
Carol and the pups continued on to Davenport, Iowa, where they were handed off to Cara's fiance, Trevor. It was hard saying goodbye to them. They are good dogs and great traveling companions.
Despite the long hours and cold weather, our road trip was off to a great start, and the best was yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment