Friday, December 30, 2016

Opening day

What do you open the day after Christmas?

If you grew up in Los Angeles County, you know the answer to this one. It's Santa Anita, of course!
It's been a long time since one of my trips to California has overlapped with a racing meet. As much as I would have loved to have spent all of opening day at the track, this was supposed to be a family vacation so I settled for breakfast at Clockers' Corner...
with Colleen, Seth, Ryan and James.
Doesn't Ryan look excited?  
The view from our table was pretty good, but not quite good enough for me.
I spent most of my time at the rail...
photographing the racehorses...
and lead ponies. 
For reasons I no longer remember, I neglected to bring my longest and best lens with me to California.
I had to make do with my old, short lens.
I missed some shots here and there, but mostly, it did pretty well.
Next time, however, I'll be sure to pack the right equipment! 
Before we left, we also spent a little time perusing sales offerings...
One each please!...
checking out Santa Anita's carriage collection,
petting the Clydesdales... 
and looking at the statues. 
John Henry
This was a really fun way to spend a morning.
Thank you to my family for (once again) enabling me. Someday, perhaps, we really will have a family vacation that doesn't include horses!

1 comment:

  1. I really should have gone to Santa Anita more when I lived in Southern CA, but I am glad that I did go once. It randomly turned out to be the day of the Big 'Cap (yeah I was out of touch with racing by that time...) so it was an even more special day. I do wish I'd gone to Hollywood Park before it was torn down, that was my Granddad's favorite track. :( Had you been there?

    ReplyDelete