Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Sculpting a short mane

It's been a while since I've posted one of Charlotte Donahue's awesome customizing tutorials, but this one was worth the wait. Who knew that the Queen of Braids is just as accomplished at sculpting loose hair, too!

Sculpting a Short Mane

by Charlotte Donahue

For this tutorial, I used a Stone Paloose in a big, forward trot.
First, I removed her mane down to the crest.
Then I ran a bead of Super Glue down the midline of the crest and applied a generous sprinkle of baking soda. This rough surface will give the epoxy a good place to grab into.
I laid a small roll of epoxy onto the crest and smushed it into the baking soda/super glue for a strong bond. This would be a good stage to put wrinkles along the side of the crest. However, this particular model is very smooth overall, so wrinkles would not be in harmony with her general surface.
Manes are often split with some on one side and some on the other, so I used two rolls/snakes of epoxy. I also left a short bridle path.
I laid the epoxy roll just to the side of the crest and pulled a bit over the top to make the mane on both sides. Then I pressed the bulk down onto the neck to get ready for the sculpting tool work.
I began cutting in the flow and direction of the hair as it would look for a lively trotting horse.
I repeated the process on the other side, making sure the length of the mane the same on both sides. As the mane goes over the withers, it's important to consider if the model will be used for performance and needs to be tack friendly.
I continued to refine the hair direction and details as the epoxy cured and became firm enough to hold details. I also used a tool to gently life the epoxy in places where it probably would not be laying flat against the neck
Lifting the epoxy off the neck in appropriate places to creates details, flow, and eye-appealing interest.
When viewed from above, the mane has "movement" that would suit a big trot.
Here's a look at the tools that were used to create this mane. My sculpting medium is Aves Apoxie Sculpt in natural.
Thank you, Charlotte, for once again allowing me to share your words and photos. You are AWESOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment