Thursday, June 9, 2016

Rawhide

Susan Bensema Young has been collecting tack almost as long as she's been making it, and I am always delighted when part of her collection finds its way to my house. This year's theme was braided bridles and bosals.
Sue is a master braider, so it's no surprise that several of the pieces were by her. This is a very old Timaru Star II bosal and mecate. The original headstall disintegrated with age, but the replacement is identical in style and construction.
Here's another oldie by Sue. 
This piece is featured in Sue's book, The Guide to Making Model Horse Tack, so naturally I dug out my copy for a photo!
The next bridle was made in 1995, so technically it's another vintage piece.
You wouldn't guess that by looking at it, however. It's gorgeous!
Onto pieces by other artists! This is a bosal by Carol Williams that is believed to date back to the late 1980's. Again, you wouldn't guess that by looking at it. Quality work is timeless.
Of course, not everything Sue brought was decades old. This lovely bridle was made by Danielle Hart, who is, in my opinion, one of the best braiders working in the hobby today.
The Kimberley Smith bridle is another modern piece.
Like the Carol Williams bosal, this bridle features braided and wrapped "rawhide" decorations. 
The next three bridles were made by German artists. This one was created by Juliane Garstka. 
 Four tiny side by side braids mimic the look of hitched horse hair. What a neat effect!
This complicated affair was made by Regine Nikolaidis. 
 There's lots to see...
so I took lots of pictures! 
Last but certainly not least is a much simpler bridle also by Regine. I really love the elegant lines and colors of this one. In fact, it just might be my favorite of the whole group.
What an amazing collection of miniature tack! Thank you so much for sharing your braided treasures with me, Sue. I loved seeing them.

No comments:

Post a Comment