Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Every year about this time

One of my favorite hobby traditions is my annual visit with esteemed tackmaker, Susan Bensema Young.
Photo taken during our 2015 visit
Sue came over today, and as usual, she did not arrive empty handed.
Nearly everything was boxed or bundled, but this guy came in wearing only his blanket and hood.
Well...
maybe not only his blanket and hood!
I wasted no time removing those to reveal the awesomeness beneath the surface. 
What a lovely, older TSII saddle! 
And that newer TSII bosal... amazing! 
Sue inspected my Gillespie bosal...
and all the Jennifer Show donations... 
while I untangled a pile of braided headgear,
sorted through a stack of saddles 
admired the ever-expanding blanket collection...  
and inspected Sue's tools... 
and tackmaking supplies. 
I love looking at tack, but I was just as excited to get my hands on the early draft of Sue's in depth guide to making braided tack. This is still a few years from publication, but it's going to be amazing.
Before Sue left, we (and by that, I mostly mean she) used the new guide to tie a pineapple knot with interweaves. So cool!
What a fun day! Thanks for visiting, Sue. Can't wait to do it again next year!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, to be a fly on the wall when the two best tack makers in the hobby get together! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bosal is incredible! :O

    Also, the picture of Sue holding my blanket makes me really excited and nervous too, haha. I hope that doesn't sound too weird? I've loved and admired her work for the past decade! :D

    Thanks for sharing, it looks like it was a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue was a big fan of your blanket. She put it on her Carrick, and for a moment, I thought I was going to have to wrestle her to get it back!

      :D

      Delete