Friday, November 20, 2015

People pictures

The hardest part of writing the tribute to Robin Nere was finding a photo to accompany the text.
The one I used came from a profile she'd written for the 2012 MEPSA Championship Show book. Ironically, the first thing she said about herself was that she was "much more comfortable behind the camera" than in front of it.
I totally get that. I also prefer this side of the camera...
to this one.
Like many women, I'm very critical of my own appearance. Even though I am forty six, I feel as if I should look the way I did when I was twenty five.
It's hard not to look good when you're posing with Rugged Lark
Current photos make me feel old, fat and frumpy.
Also dorky.
Part of me knows this is ridiculous. I look the way I look, and if it's good enough for my family and friends, it should be good enough for me as well. 
So instead of ducking every time someone points a camera in my direction, I try very had to smile and embrace my fat, frumpy, forty six year old self.
photo by Collyn Richmond
Recent events have given me a new appreciation for some less than perfect photos of myself. 
The first time I looked at this picture, all I saw was double chin. 
Those same events have reminded me to always, always take pictures of the people I love, because you just never know.
Thanksgiving is next week, and one of the things I am most thankful for is my hobby family. 
Because of this, I would love to run a series of people pictures on my blog over the holiday weekend.  It doesn't matter if you are a big name hobbyist, a little name hobbyist or a no name hobbyist. If you read this blog and have a shelf of plastic horses somewhere in your house, you are part of my hobby family and I really want to see you! Please send photos to braymere@comcast.net or post them to my Facebook page.

6 comments:

  1. I love this idea.

    I'm one of those people who hates having their picture taken too, but I'm trying to get better about it. Most of the photos I have are several years old already. :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post, and you are absolutely right on every point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have been reading your blog for awhile and have been really enjoying it. Recently I got into tack making and would love to make a dressage set but I can't find much on it. I was wondering if you could post a dressage tack tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been reading your blog for several years and every time you post a photo of yourself you are smiling. Right away I thought you must be one of the happiest people around. And you are - surrounded by loyal hobby friends and able to share your creativity with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful post and you are so right. I'm another person who loves to take pictures, but hates being in them. It's silly, I know but... yeah, it's still a big struggle for me to be on the other side of a camera. I try to tell myself that, especially now - being as how we are on the other side of the world, I need to get better about that. I guess family and friends might like to "see" more of me, since we are so far away from each other. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous post! You are so precious and I absolutely love your posts and photos. You look wonderful in front of a camera, as well as behind it. The photo of you on the pony taking a photo is just pure awesomeness. Keep up the fabulous work that you do - you are such an inspiration in so many ways. :)

    ReplyDelete