Saturday, August 8, 2015

Special Olympics working trail obstacles

Performance showers are always on the lookout for new trail class ideas, and I am no exception. Because of this, I was delighted to be able to take lots of good sequential photos of the Working Trail pbstacles at the 2015 Special Olympics World Games. Since I am generous about these things, I'm sharing some of the best ones here. Enjoy!

The course opened with an easy walk through pole obstacle which was shaped like a giant plus sign.  The horses entered at a walk...
and proceeded to the middle of the obstacle, before turning right...
and heading toward obstacle number two.
This was composed of three pairs of raised poles set... 
set at angles to one another. 
 Horses were required to trot here.
Still trotting! 
Next up was a carry obstacle. Each horse and rider pair entered the box at a walk and rode to the first raised cone.
The rider lifted a ring off the cone... 
and steered the horse... 
through the box... 
to the second raised cone. 
The rider placed the ring atop the cone... 
before exiting the box. 
After that, it was a lot of turning obstacles. These barrels were set in a line like the poles in a pole bending class. The horses walked through them one way
and trotted the other. 
Then there were some full trotting turns around some greenery.
The course finished with another tour through the first obstacle.
This time they entered and exited the two sides they skipped earlier. 
Final halt and salute and that's that.
As always, feel free to use my photos for your live show performance documentation.  And don't forget--I'd love to see a picture of your entry!

4 comments:

  1. Interesting to see a couple of very stout-looking horses, including one that appears to have some drafter influence... I wonder if they think it might be a safer mount for some of them...? I like the little paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so cool! I agree, the palomino is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the palomino is a roached haflinger. (Why anyone would want to roach such a beautiful mane is beyond me, but never mind) They all look so well behaved, my haflinger is would probably try to eat the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting course. I've heard of a few of these obstacles used in regular trail classes, but I've never seen pictures of them. I'll definitely have to use this sometime in the future.

    ReplyDelete