Sunday, April 13, 2014

Sidesaddle Saturday

Last week was filled with work, taxes and yet another canine medical extravaganza, none of which make for exciting blog fodder. 

Fortunately, the weekend brought some relief in the form of a fun sidesaddle day at Fabian's barn in Thornton, Colorado.
When I arrived, Cisco was already saddled.  Teresa climbed on first...
and Fabian led her around the round pen.
Fabian was next.
More trips around the round pen. 
When it was my turn, I asked to forgo the leadline, and Fabian kindly indulged me.
Cisco and I practiced stopping, starting... 
He's better at "Whoa" than "Walk on!"
and steering.
Since he was going so well... 
I asked for a little trot. 
Eeeeeee!  It's so much harder than it looks...
but it's also so much fun!
After I was done making a fool out of myself riding, Collyn and her boyfriend, Jacob, arrived.
They each took a turn... 
riding Cisco around the round pen. 
Then Teresa climbed back into the saddle and did a little trotting.
I think she did a much better job of staying in the middle than me. 
This was such a fun way to end the week.
Thanks so much to Fabian for being such a gracious host and allowing all of us to enjoy his Fabulous Fjord, Cisco!

11 comments:

  1. Cisco is such a cute horse. Reminds me off home. We have a lot of fjordings in Sweden. I hope you are doing good and that your shoulder feels better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Isabell! It's good to hear from you. I am mostly recovered from my accident. I don't have all my range of motion back (and may not ever get it) but I can pretty much do everything I want to do, including riding!

      Delete
  2. I am so jealous!! I have always wanted to try sidesaddle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was fourteen and fifteen, my friend, Laura, and I spent a year riding at the Stable With No Adults. As a result, we did all kinds of stupid things with our camp ponies, including riding "sidesaddle." Mind you, we didn't actually own a sidesaddle so this was pretty much sitting sideways on our English saddles and making the ponies trot and sometimes canter. It was a lot of fun, but I'm glad I finally had the chance to ride sidesaddle for real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do this! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like it's a ton of fun! Always wanted to try sidesaddle, haven't had the chance yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way cool! I've always wanted to try riding sidesaddle - definitely on my Horsey Bucket List. What prompted Fabian to get one? Not really something I associate with a) men or b) Fjords, LOL. That Cisco sure is a Very Good Boy!

    Also, I know there wasn't a lot going on off-lead, but thank you for wearing a certain item of apparel. *wink*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabian has been a fan of sidesaddle riding as long as I've known him. Most of his performance models go sidesaddle, and now his real horse does, too!

      :)

      Delete
  7. Very cool! I miss riding sidesaddle. It's been about 15 years since I've had the chance to ride in a real sidesaddle (not quite as long for just riding "sidesaddle" in a regular English saddle.. but it's not the same). Trotting was always fun, but cantering was my favorite (of course, 15 year old me was much more of a daredevil than 30 year old me is now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wait until you're forty five! I've always been a daredevil when it comes to riding, but since my accident, I find that I'm a lot more reluctant to put myself in harm's way. I'm not scared exactly, just a bit more careful than I used to be. Fortunately, there's nothing about Cisco--even sidesaddle Cisco--that feels even the littlest bit unsafe to me.

      (Wish I could say the same about Mystyc!)

      Delete
  8. for your first time ridding in side saddle and taking over your position is wonderful! im looking over the photos and you look good!!
    ~Fabian

    ReplyDelete