Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Another MH$P accident

Although I bought my first resin in 1999, it was the second resin--an Ann Harris Bubba--who truly turned me into a resin collector.  Here's Jolly Roger's story.
The year was 2003 and my life was on the upswing.  We'd recently moved into our current home, Seth had a new, better paying job, and I was doing a brisk business selling all sorts of small tack items.  There was a little bit of money burning a hole in my pocket, so I indulged myself in that most dangerous of past times and logged onto Model Horse $ales Pages.
Up popped an ad for familiar looking spotted pony.  I clicked on the link, and sure enough, I did know the pony in question.  He belonged to a local shower, and I'd admired him in person on numerous occasions.  The price was surprisingly low--more than the balance of my PayPal account, but not by much.  

"Hmmmm," I thought to myself.  "I can almost afford that pony.  I wonder if she'd consider time payments."  

I clicked the "Contact Vendor" button and made an inquiry.  I didn't expect anything to come of it, but there's no harm in asking, right?
The seller responded almost immediately.  She presented me with a complete--and very affordable--payment plan.  She didn't ask if I was a serious buyer.  Instead, she just seemed to assume that I had made a firm commitment.

My first reaction was, "That's kind of presumptuous."  

My second reaction was, "I can't afford resins."

Then, I read the email again and realized that I could, in fact, afford this resin.  I logged into PayPal and made my first payment before I had a chance to change my mind.
And just like that, I accidentally became a resin collector.

7 comments:

  1. Hi, just curious (I've never owned a resin...) are resins made of something other than plastic- like the plastic that Breyer uses? Are they highly fragile? Thanks for your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resins are sculpted from clay around a wire outline. Once the sculptor has finished their piece they get them caste. These molds can be hollow, or full casts. They are generally made from plaster, silicon, or metal.

      They are quite fragile, and tend to break much more easily than your traditional Breyer/Peter-stone horse!

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I missed this the first time around. Barrelracer7155 did a good job explaining resins, but I want to add that all resins are not created equal. Some are much more fragile than others. Most of the original finish resins are made of a heavier material that is more prone to shattering. The white resin used by most artists is a lot more durable.

      Delete
  2. Another accident, Jennifer?...you should [not] be ashamed of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another beautiful outcome of an "accident!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOD!!! no way! that looks like Harry (Harry Potter) the pony I want to lease!!!! Oh wow.... would you sell him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. I hardly ever sell my horses, especially those with so much sentimental value. This guy's definitely a keeper!

      Delete