Saturday, April 26, 2014

Blog hop: Appreciating what you have

I'm jumping on the blog hop bandwagon today, because this topic is simply too good to resist:

Let's take a moment to appreciate the Pros of our current ponies, whether you own them or just ride them in lessons.
My relationship with Mystyc is almost four months old, and it's fair to say that I've spent a lot of that time not appreciating Mystyc.
Because I was still recovering from my accident, I didn't ride Mystyc before I signed the lease papers.  That was probably a mistake.  
I didn't realize how green she was...
Or how complicated... 
and resistant.
She was perhaps not the best choice for someone coming back from a major injury, and I'm sad to say that I've held that against her.  Even on days when she's mostly good...
I tend to focus on the few bad moments.
This really isn't fair to Mystyc.
Fortunately, the last couple weeks have been a lot better.
It's taken most of four months, but I've truly begun to appreciate Mystyc, both on the ground and under saddle.
I feel so fortunate to have this cute, complicated, little bay mare in my life.
She may not be the easiest horse I've ever ridden, but I feel confident that she's worth the effort.

5 comments:

  1. Isn't honesty wonderful? Mystyc looks so much like my own horse back then. I was wondering how your shoulder was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. About three months ago, I met someone who had broken her collarbone in much the same manner as me. I asked her how long until it had stopped hurting, and she said, "Six months."

    I passed the six month mark a week ago, and I'm sad to say that it's still not painfree.

    However, it is a lot better. My range of motion improves daily, and I can go long stretches without thinking about it. On the downside, it does ache after a long studio session, I still have an uncomfortable "pins and needles" sensation around the surgery incision, and I can't sleep on my left side at all. I'm still hoping it will get better with time, but in the spirit of this post, I'm mostly trying to appreciate the gains I've made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're feeling better about your partnership with miss Mystyc :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I love that second-to-last photo. It's like she's saying, "See, I told you I'm not so bad!" :) Like Lauren said, I'm glad you're feeling better about her and also glad your shoulder is at least functional, if not 100%. When I broke my foot it took a year before I didn't notice it anymore - so I think you just need "tincture of time."

    ReplyDelete