Sunday, February 7, 2016

Barn blues

My dad was a weekend woodworker who created beautiful pieces of furniture in his garage workshop.
That careful craftsmanship and painstaking attention detail carried over into all his home improvement projects. I remember watching him paint a bedroom. It took forever. When it was done, it was perfect. But still, it took forever.

Not too long after that, I visited my best friend and was shocked to discover her bedroom walls sporting a new color. I remarked on the change, and she told me that she and her mom had painted the room that morning. I couldn't believe my ears. They had painted the entire room in less than one day.

Of course, they hadn't done all the sanding and filling and prep work that my dad had done. Instead, they'd simply bought some paint and put it on the walls. It wasn't perfect--not by a long shot--but it was done.

When I started painting this barn, I promised myself that it wouldn't become a major ordeal. 
I lied. 
As much as I want to be Sarah and her mom, I'm really more like my dad. 
This looks okay...
but not okay enough.
I'll probably still be painting this barn in April, but hey, it's going to be awesome someday!

14 comments:

  1. My family is exactly the same way- perfectionists. My dad is currently painting our house, by him self- but he has to fix it all first! Definitely makes projects last a lot longer than expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe same colour green as mine. Good choice ofc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't be sad that it takes longer. In the end you will be pleased with the result. It took me more than a month to build my stables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to write a guest post featuring photos of your stable, I would be *delighted* to publish it.

      :D

      Delete
    2. Oh, I would love to do that, but it would take some time. :-)

      Delete
  4. Dad was a bit the same way. A professional painter, he could freehand any trim piece and no texture on the walls was necessary to covert the drywall tape. But, he was a little quicker than yours I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. My Dad much preferred building to painting.

      Delete
  5. I feel this way about finishing my studio. Anal. I. Am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic! Now I *really* need to get a barn (or two or three...)

    I'm also a perfectionist--everything must be PERFECT before it's completed. I think that's also the reason I haven't gotten a barn yet...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see the finished article! You're going to have SO much fun decorating it - I know I do with mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the part I'm really looking forward to.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to see your finished barn. I can't wait to start on mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's the attention to detail that takes a piece of work from average to spectacular. I really want to make a barn for my 1/6 scale horses, but I live in one room with my partner so there's no way I'll have the space for a 6 horse barn. Not when the boxes need to be 2 feet square!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dad has the right idea. Anything worth doing, is worth doing right...

    ReplyDelete