Friday, March 13, 2015

Letting go

Teresa was with me the day I decided to let Abbie go.

It wasn't an easy decision to make. Abbie wasn't in the midst of a health crisis, but at sixteen and a half years of age, she'd become a shadow of her former self. My head knew she was ready to move on, but my heart couldn't bare the thought of saying goodbye.

Teresa listened to me as I talked. She offered support rather than advice, and helped make that very difficult day just a little bit easier.

When I thanked her after, she confessed that she didn't know if she'd have the strength to be there for Flick when his time came. I told her that I thought she would, but if not, I would hold the lead rope in her place.

Two years later, I had to make the same decision for Maggie.  

As luck would have it, Teresa and I had plans to spend the day together. I thought about cancelling, but decided against it. Teresa gave me a shoulder to cry on, and once again, she helped make a terrible day just a little bit better.

Today I got to return the favor.  

Teresa held the lead rope, but I was there as she said goodbye to Flick. He passed peacefully, surrounded by the people who loved and cared for him.  It was a good end to a tremendous life. I am honored to have been a part of it.

Godspeed Flick. You will be missed.

10 comments:

  1. Please tell Teresa I am really sorry for her loss. It's not easy letting go of loved ones. Flick seemed like an amazing horse! I will be praying for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a hard, hard decision -- and it never gets easier no matter how many times you have to make it. Hugs to Teresa, and to you for supporting a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad Teresa had you there for support.
    Please give her a hug from those of us who have also had to "hold the lead rope"...

    Teresa - So sorry for your loss.
    RIP Flick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such sadness in such an event but so good in that you could be there to support each other in the hard times. I remember reading tales about Flick in the long ago days of Haynet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tell Theresa I'm sorry for her loss. It's so hard to lose a four legged member of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry, Teresa. Even though he will be so very missed, you made his life as wonderful as it could ever be. He had a good life because of you :)

    Rest in piece, Flick <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please give Teresa my deepest condolences. What a gift to be able to give such a peaceful and graceful transition (yes I believe all good horses go to Heaven) to Flick. I'm glad Teresa had you there as well. RIP Flick. Your legend lives on.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Many, many hugs, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! My deepest sympathies are with Teresa - Flick seemed like a really special horse.

    ReplyDelete