Wednesday, March 11, 2015

HITS 1995

Twenty years ago, I spent six weeks in Florida working at my fourth and final HITS Ocala Winter Circuit.
Belynda Bond on Benny
As in previous years,  I was accompanied by my bosses, Dave and Judy, their son, Chris, and his nanny, Dorothy.
Chris
Once again, we brought Judy's two nice,
Getaway (CC)
Amateur Owner hunters...
Asbury Way (Woody)
and the family's three dogs.
Mardi
This year, however, there were several significant new additions to our winter circuit group. These included my puppy, Abbie... 

and Judy's new groom, Tracey.
Tracey was an aspiring professional rider with a talented, grey Thoroughbred jumper...
Homeward Bound (Homer)
and a big, sweet dog named Jasmine.
Tracey and I were roughly the same age and had both worked on the circuit for several years. We knew each other enough to say hello, but we didn't run in the same circles and we'd never really spent time together. Prior to HITS, one my friend, Ron, expressed concern about our plans to share a hotel room.  

"Tracey's a party girl," he warned me. "I don't know if it's going to work out."

I am really, really not a party girl, so I shared his doubts. 

Fortunately, we were both wrong.
Right from the start, Tracey and I got along like a house on fire. We spent most of our free time together, including one memorable overnight trip to Tampa.
And even though I'm really not a party girl, I kept up just fine, thank you very much.
Of course, it wasn't all exhibitor parties and tequila shots.  I still did all my usual Ocala things like visiting with my friend, Cathy...
 and all...
her animals. 
I also took...
Vicky Miller on Catch a Wave
more than a few...
Aaron Vale on Mafito
photos of the show jumpers.
Harold Chopping on ??
Still, when I think about HITS 1995, what I remember most is the partying. It was a good way to wrap up my Ocala years. I am really not a party girl, but for that one six week period, I partied with the best of them!

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a fun time - and maybe a nice way to change it up for a few weeks haha. Jasmine was gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the personal glimpses of history! I appreciate the sharing.

    ReplyDelete