Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Snow day projects

Although it was warm and sunny yesterday, we woke up to lots of snow this morning.  School was cancelled and the kids have spent their day eating Halloween candy and building snow forts with the neighbors.  They are having a grand time out there...
while I am staying busy working on non tack related projects in my studio.
Roundapony had his head removed and reattached.
His neck might be a bit too long, but I like the more relaxed position.  He looks so bright and cheerful! 
I also spent some time working on my foxhounds.   Hard to believe, but some of these pups have been sitting on my project shelf for years.  It would be really nice if I could finish up a few while I'm figuring out what to do with my tackmaking business.
Regarding that--I haven't quit tackmaking and I'm not leaving the hobby.  For the time being, however, I am done with commissions.  Probably this isn't a permanent state, but after ten long years I feel like it's time to do things a bit differently!

9 comments:

  1. We had no school yesterday, but it was a fog day, not a snow day! I love how your foxhounds are turning out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of a fog day, but I remember having heat days when I was a kid. I grew up in Southern California and none of the schools I attended had air conditioning. My house didn't either. Heat days weren't nearly as much fun as snow days. Too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to customize a broken resin and the front leg (snapped off in the middle of the cannon bone) refuses to stay put. I've epoxyed it twice now, but every time I dremel it down it falls back off, even with epoxy between the two ends and a thin layer around the outside. Would you have any ideas as to how to fix that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the foxhounds!! They look neat! I can't wait to see them painted and finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roundie looks much happier :)

    I am always so impressed with anyone who can do the stress of taking commissions. You do deserve a break, and with your work in such demand, I'm sure you'll have no problem selling whenever and whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous you need to pin the leg drill in to both pieces and put a piece of metal wire in I secure it with soda glue
    ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  7. SNOW? That's a LOT of snow for November 2nd. Whew! And I had never thought to make a snow fort with buckets of snow. How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The horse looks much better with a bit more neck. I don't mean to be rude to the original sculpter as it is beautiful but that is what it needed. (sorry!)
    I also make tack, I've had a few commissions but mainly I just make what I like and sell it on ebay. That way I do it in my own time, do whatever I want to it and get the enjoyment when someone thinks that they like it too and buy it. It's such a buzz!!! So I totally agree with you, give up the commissions and enjoy it at your own pace but PLEASE don't give up fully. You should never waste such a talent. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted you to know that I stumbled across your blog frustrated with the lack of tack making info on the web. I was so impressed with it that I started with your very first post from August 2007 and started reading the entire blog in order. After several days I've finally made it to this post.

    When read that close together, your accomplishments and dedication are beyond amazing. Probably more than you could begin to realize.

    Please remember that new people are still coming into this hobby and you are an enormous inspiration to new "tackmakers" like myself.

    I've learned more in the last week from your blog than I have in the last year. I've found books, resources, tools and other blogs that I would have never found simply from Rio Rondo and endlessly making kits.

    Please keep doing what you do, because we need you.

    ReplyDelete