Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Roundaprep

Although I am eager to start sculpting Roundapony's hair, I've been advised that it's best to hold off until all the prep work is done.
It almost looks done in these first two pictures, but closer inspection reveals three significant issues that need to be resolved.
Most obvious, perhaps, is this broken ear. 
Fortunately, that's an easy fix.  I use the baking soda and super glue method described by Sarah Rose in this tutorial
Good as new! 
Because Roundapony is a very rough, home cast resin, I used a lot of epoxy on him.  Despite my best efforts, I didn't manage to sand all the epoxy edges smooth.  It was hard to see the bad spots before I primed him, but now they are abundantly obvious.
Again, this is a relatively easy problem to correct.  I just sand the offending area... 
until the epoxy/resin seam is invisible.   
The last prepping issue is the least apparent but definitely the hardest to fix.  This model is covered in pinholes.  I did my best to fill them before priming, but as you can see, I didn't get them all. 
I used Apoxie Sculpt to fill the first couple thousand pin holes.  Now, I'm brushing the remainder with "messo" which is a mix of modeling paste and gesso.  
When it dries, I'll sand and re-prime.  In a perfect world, that would be the end of it.  More than likely, however, there will be several repetitions of the fill/sand/prime cycle.  Still, I am optimistic that this pony with be ready to paint by the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. He looks SOOOOO much better than when I gave him to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh T, you should see him now. He has braids. It's so cute!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooooohhhhhh Definitely!

    ReplyDelete