Sunday, November 6, 2011

Embracing dressage, sort of

I found Trillium by going to Craigslist and typing "horse pony lease" into the search box.  That's casting a pretty wide net, but beggars can't be choosers.  I figured I'd be lucky to find a horse that was safe, sound, sane, affordable and not too far away.  Anything beyond that would be a bonus.  

My riding goals were similarly basic.  I wanted to have fun, regain my old skills and maybe (hopefully) lose a little weight.  That's it.  I really wasn't looking to immerse myself in any kind of a serious riding program.  I'm just not that ambitious.  

Or am I?

Trillium is owned by a dressage rider and her lease package includes one lesson a week.  Aline is a good teacher so I've enjoyed those lessons.  Still, up until recently, my non-structured riding days have tended to be more about this...
and this...
and even this than they are about dressage.
Slowly but surely, however, the dressage focus is beginning to take hold.  Today I found myself auditing a dressage clinic at Normandy Farms in Littleton, Colorado.  
And I wasn't just there to support Aline and take photos...
I was actively paying attention and thinking about how I could apply what I was seeing and hearing to my own riding.
So I dunno.  I didn't think it was possible, but maybe I will be a dressage rider when I grow up.  Stranger things have happened, right?

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! Personally, I find dressage really quite fun to training/ride, so you know that of course I'm all for it. : D


    bonita of A Riding Habit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that some of the skills I learned about working with horses in my early lesson years were very deeply rooted in dressage training. Many women I know in college (i.e. many of the professors and their friends) used to be "big time" horse people that have gone over to do dressage. It is more about competing with an improving yourself and less about beating others -many "pleasure/for-fun" riders seem to enjoy that. :) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to the dark side! ;-) We have old horses and riders, sound, healthy and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean: I used to instantly dismiss dressage as THE most boring thing imaginable. Never read any of the dressage articles in PH. About the only tests I watched were the top Olympic finalists; those were gorgeous, and marvelous to see. But for me? Nah. Gimme my jumps. However, things have changed a bit since I started riding A Real Dressage Horse. I have found myself reading more, watching more, and wanting to try and apply some of what I've seen/read. Just like you. We'll see what happens! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Tracie--are you sure we're not related?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah! Dressage is great! They say that any horse or rider should always have the beginning of Dressage training!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the *exact* same saddlepad for my pony!!!

    ReplyDelete