Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Model horse magazines

One of the first items on today's to-do list was locating my October/November 1996 issue of The Hobby Horse News.
I was specifically looking for this article,
but of course I spent some time flipping through the other forty two pages.  1996 was a good year for hobby literature, and this issue is no exception.  There are articles, show reports, full NAN results and tons of wonderful ads.  Oh, how I miss those wonderful hobby publications of yesteryear!
Fortunately, thanks to my friend Shannon Granger, there's still one good print magazine left in the hobby.
The newest issue of Model Horse Performance arrived today, and it's awesome.
(And I'm not just saying that because I got a little mention on page six!)
Seriously, people--this magazine is worth supporting.  Don't let it go the way of The Hobby Horse News, The Equine Miniaturist, TRR Pony Express, Horsing Around, Just About Horses and so many others.  Subscribe today.  I guarantee you won't regret it!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the kind words on the Model Horse Performance magazine!! <3 Personally, I was very proud of this issue :D I am happy to hear you are enjoying the publication!
    -Sarahbeth Barlas (editor)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Shannon are doing an amazing job, Sarahbeth. Each issue gets better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh hey, Jenn Danza I think it was also did an article on coat cuts in JAH that may help you out, too :D It was a more recent (sometime in 2000's) issue. The work was done on a SM. I found it really interesting back in the day (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to see that article a little bit bigger... any chance of a scan? It looks super helpful and sculpting hair in epoxy is really hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Jen! It's a fun publication to put out ;). We're looking for a few articles on racing for the next issue (if I can put in a shameless plug)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to subscribe to this magazine, maybe that will be the next ting I do when my PayPal gets enough money! This issue I am especially interested in as I do harness in real life.
    hmm, might go check how much is in my PayPal now!! lol!

    It's a shame there is not more magazines etc in the hobby. It would be really neat to have them, or even some good online ones...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Long time reader, first time commenter. I've been interested in the hobby for a while, and been wanting to get into it, and these publications look like great ways to find information. It'd be awesome if all these old issues were scanned and put up somewhere, be a very valuable resource.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind scanning Just About Horses articles, but I'm reluctant to do the same with the Hobby Horse News and similar type publications. I don't know the ins and outs of copyright laws, but it does seem like those articles belong to either the author or the publisher, not me. Most of the authors are still active in the hobby, and I really do not want to step on their toes.

    Maybe I'm wrong about this?

    There is some really great content in these old magazines. For example, Sarah M-B's In the Studio series is as relevant today as it was in 1996. It *would* be great if that content was available on line, I just think it should come from someone other than me!

    Unrelated--Sarahbeth, you've complicated my life! My copies of the Hobby Horse News are (somewhat) organized, but I have JAH's squirreled away all over the house. I vaguely remember the article you referenced. I wonder how long it would take me to find it and if it's worth the effort?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for, Jennifer :D

    About that issue.... I want to say it is 2002? maybe 2005? lol, I'm sorry; I just don't know :( I can ask Jenn; maybe she'll remember lol.

    ReplyDelete