Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Law and (dis)order

I am, at best, a mediocre house keeper.  

Despite that, I do have a few house keeping rules I try very hard not to break.  These include: no dirty dishes left in the sink overnight, no dirty clothes on the living room floor (my kids struggle with this one), and no piles of clutter on the desk in my studio.

So how do I explain this?
Messes like that don't happen overnight, and this one was almost a week in the making.  First, I went on a tack making binge, moving from one project to another without cleaning up in between.  Then my lovely internet and cable company decided to upgrade my service package, necessitating a whole new cable box for my studio television.   My husband installed that for me, but in doing so, he scooped up the pile of stuff that usually lives on the Tivo box and dumped it on top of my already messy work area.  Oh well, at least the tv/computer stand looked ok!
Normally I would have dealt with this a lot sooner, but then Darcy got sick and everything stopped for a day or two.  The mess slowly grew and grew and I started avoiding the studio altogether.
Last night, I finally decided enough was enough.  I forced myself to tackle the mess and this is the happy result.
Granted, my studio will never be featured in Good Housekeeping, but I am pleased with the results.  Everything is neat enough, with lots of space to work and all the important tools close at hand.  In fact, my work area looks so inviting that I can hardly wait to get home from my riding lesson today and start work on that saddleseat set.  Hurray!

2 comments:

  1. If you ever feel guilty about the state of your house, feel free to come up to mine... that whole "moving" thing plus the blue blanket fuzzies that are *everywhere* will cheer you RIGHT up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad about that little mess...I have not been able to really clean for about 4 years...I do clean...but not the move furniture type cleaning. I do insist that there are no dirty dishes out and that clothing is put up....can't quite get the puppy to put her toys up though....lol Hope your Darcy is doing better!

    ReplyDelete