Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jumper bridles

With temperatures in the mid to upper eighties, it sure does feel like summer out there.  However, the calendar tells a different story.  It's October and horse show season is drawing to a close.  

Determined to squeeze in as many shows as possible before the snow flies, today I headed out to the Colorado Horse Park in Parker, Colorado today to take in show jumping day at the CHP CCI 3 Day Event and Horse Trials as well as the Wild Ranch Fall Challenge Hunter Jumper show.

With yesterday's post still fresh in my mind, I spent a lot of time at the various jumper rings looking for horse's with basic hunter type bridles.  This is the only one I found.
Were it not for that gag bit, this one would have qualified as well.  
Just about everything else had multiple un-huntery elements.
These included but were not limited to: reins with rubber hand grips and rein stops,
flash or figure eight nosebands,
bling-y browbands,  
black leather, 
all different types of bits,
and buckles on the bit ends of the cheekpieces and reins. 
I also noticed several Micklem bridles in use.
These bridles are marketed as being "more comfortable, more humane, [and] more effective."  This was the first time I'd seen them in action, but they seem to be catching on, at least among the eventing crowd.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always love the quiet, understated elegance of a good hunter bridle.  Still, the tackmaker in me delights in the variety of bridle options on display in the jumper ring.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that shaved (?) bay needs to have his bridle waaaaay re-adjusted. Not typical for that sort of crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I *think* that horse was wearing a really long waterford bit. The mouthpiece stuck out a long way on each side making the bridle look very, very odd. He went around quietly, though, and ended up with a good placing in the Preliminary division of the three day event.

    ReplyDelete