Sunday, November 9, 2014

Spruce Meadows jumps

As promised, part three of guest blogger, Terri Wright's Spruce Meadows series takes a good look at some of Spruce Meadows' most distinctive jumps.  There's lots of good stuff here, and I'm pretty sure I need that painter jump.  Thanks again, Terri, for sharing!

The Jumps of Spruce Meadows

by Terri Wright

I have always been intrigued by the jumps at Spruce Meadows.  Despite my best internet search attempts, it appears to be very difficult to find quality photos of these jumps in different states of assembly.

Not long ago, an interesting link popped up on my Facebook feed from the Current NAN R11 Rep about some of the jumps at Spruce Meadows.My intention with this post is not to duplicate that article, but to provide closer more varied photographs of the international jumps, both disassembled and assembled.  It may, I hope, provide inspiration to hobby members and prop makers alike.  These photos can also provide some valuable insight about how the jumps are constructed, adhering to safety of the horse and rider, but also provide complex, challenging obstacles for international level competition. 

Spruce Meadows has a wide assortment of complex and impressive obstacles available for use in competitions.  Many of these have come from other major equestrian events or games and have been shipped or copied.  
When I was visiting Spruce Meadows during the Masters Tournament, I took the opportunity to wander through the storage areas.  
They have several copies of each jump in order to have combinations and have replacement pieces in case parts are damaged while in use.  As you can imagine, this requires a large storage area for the size and quantity of jumps available. 

Although I was not able to get photo graphs of every obstacle at Spruce Meadows, I was able did capture a few of my favourites.  They are presented here with little personal commentary. 

These light posts jumps were new to me: I really loved their intricate design!

Many of the jumps are very unique and represent specific locations.  This is Paris,
Tower Bridge,
and Mt. Rushmore.

This jump is very narrow and is frequently used in competition
I didn’t get a complete shot of this one assembled.. but many of the horses wanted nothing to do with it.  
And a few others;
This obstacle was one of my favourites.  Unfortunately, I was not able to get a very good assembled photo, but the poles are supposed to be coloured to resemble paint brushes.
The storage sheds are also filled with all sorts of interesting items, different obstacles and show ring decoration assortments….
Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament with a photo bomb: “AHHH HUMANZILLA!
Finally a use for dolls not suitable for riding..!
Last but not least,  No jumping  competition is complete without FLOWERS!
LOTS OF FLOWERS!
I hope to have the chance to construct at least one of these jumps this winter….  And visit Spruce Meadows next year for more photos!  Anyone want to come?

Yes, please!  I would love to go back to Spruce Meadows.  After all, it's been twenty four years since my last visit!

6 comments:

  1. These are awesome! Love the hand painting one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw that paint brush jump at the WEG, I first thought it was chopsticks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this! A couple of those jumps are in the design stage on our workbench right now, so every photo we can get of them helps so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some really interesting jumps there - never seen anything like that painter one. Although I have to be pedantic and point out that's Tower Bridge, not London Bridge and it's the Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, not the Tower of London :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My error on the Identification of the jumps. .. perhaps we can get Jennifer to edit the names ? (Pretty please? )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for this great series! I have loved (and wanted to recreate in miniature) that ancient coin jump since I first saw it and I really appreciate this close up picture!

    ReplyDelete