Friday, November 21, 2014

TRXC resin workmanship

The models in the artist resin classes at TRXC were every bit as impressive as those in the custom division.
Once again, I was judging workmanship, which was both wonderful and painful.
I loved looking at all the beautiful horses...
but hated having to narrow each class to just five winners.
Some of the artists who made my job so difficult were Pamala Hutton,
Tom Bainbridge, 
Danelle Gatcombe, 
Carol Williams,
Ann Harris, 
Chris Flint,
Melanie Miller,
Lauren Hoeffer, 
Meghann Hoscheid Lorei,
and Danielle Feldman.
Because I look at a lot of live show pictures, I recognized several "famous" models, including two that had been featured on my blog.  This Morgan by Liesl Dalpe appeared in a post I wrote way back in 2008!
The other, a SMB Dante resin by Jaime (Baker) Castleman, was inspired by an Almost wordless Wednesday  from 2012.  I'm happy to say, he's even more impressive in person!
Also impressive was this Eberl Welsh pony by Vermont artist, Karen Lloyd.  I had not heard of Karen prior to TRXC, but I was blown away by the softness and detail in this model's finishwork.  She's definitely an artist to watch!
I know I've said this before, but it's worth repeating:  The Region X Championship is one of the best and most competitive shows in the model horse hobby.  I am proud and honored to have been a part of this year's judging staff.  Thanks to everyone who made me feel so welcome!

8 comments:

  1. The pony on the bottom is mine!!! :) I can't wait for her to come home! Portrait piece and Karen did an AMAZING job on it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you!

      She wasn't in the Workmanship Stakes class so I didn't get to inspect her as closely as I would have liked. Still, I saw enough to be VERY impressed. My photo really doesn't do her justice at all.

      :)

      Delete
  2. All of those are gorgeous but that dapple hair detail is mind blowing! WOW! Thank you so much for sharing all these photos, it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to meet Karen Lloyd a few weeks ago and she was lovely to chat with - she was doing a painting demonstration at a local farm store. I have her card and am seriously considering a commission. I was really, really impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Random question:

    Do cms on the Totilas mold usually do good at shows? I will email you a picture if you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always depends on whatever else is on the table (WEIOTT), but generally speaking, the Totilas mold is very competitive. If you look back at the TRXC Custom Division photos, you'll see a picture of Jackie's Reedus winning a rosette in the sport breed halter stakes class.

      Delete
    2. Ok. I'll send u pics of my cm so u can really determine��

      Delete
  5. And MY Totillas custom by Claire Williams always does fantastic at shows and he got a Top Five in Stakes at TRXC both last year and this year.

    ReplyDelete