Sunday, October 28, 2012

Wizard's Vale Arts collection tour

In addition to being a talented sculpture and finishwork artist, Karen Gerhardt is a long time model horse collector.  Those of us who were lucky enough to attend her recent housewarming party spent a lot of time ogling her most impressive collection.
This china cabinet is filled with clinky versions of some of Karen's most popular sculptures.
Oooh!  I recognize that lovely Optime
 More gorgeous clinkies...
including this amazing Hagen Renaker Two Bits.  The mold detail on this piece is spectacular.
Mixed in between the horses are parts and pieces of resin master molds.  If I'm not mistaken, this one belongs to Boreas. 
This cute Thelwell pony lives on a window sill in the basement. 
His saddle was made by a hobbyist in the 1970's.  It's built on a hand cut aluminum tree.  Hmmm... The more things change, the more they stay the same! 
Not surprisingly, Karen's studio is perhaps the most interesting room in the house.
James was immediately drawn to the translucent Breyers,
but my eye went to the the works in progress both on the sculpting table... 
and fresh from the kiln.
Another book case holds original finish plastics and resins,
including Karen's Cleveland Bay conga line... 
and her painted Roundabouts. 
With so many gorgeous pieces to choose from, what did my child identify as his favorite? Sigh.  There's no accounting for taste!   
Thanks again to Karen for hosting this event.  We all had a wonderful time!

6 comments:

  1. Yashka and I were debating who got what in the bisque cabinets... the fights that could break out! :D

    Did you see Karen's photo of everything in the kiln after being fired?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pony! I think I saw a pony sculpture in the works!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That saddle looks pretty darn good for being over 30 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sculpture does look like a pony, but it's really a Gyspy Cob. Sadly, I think Karen's decided not to finish it.

    I'm kind of in love with the little saddle. That is exactly the sort of tack I spent so much time dreaming about when I was a child!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I can say is....OH...MY.....WORD....I'm GONNA......DIE.....

    ReplyDelete