Friday, October 26, 2012

Saddles and dolls

I finished assembling Jane's saddle today.
Jane is a doll maker, so I know this saddle will be used with a rider doll.  
It is surprisingly difficult to build a model sized saddle that looks good and fits the Breyer rider doll well.  After years of small adjustments, I think I've finally found a good balance between these two somewhat contradictory goals.
I am especially pleased with the way the doll's leg rests evenly against the saddle...
with only minor gaps behind the knees.  
I still think my saddles could be a bit prettier, but I'm working on that, too.  I'm pretty sure the solution will come one small adjustment at a time.  That's how things go for this particular model tackmaker.

8 comments:

  1. WOW - gorgeous! I think Jane will be thrilled with her "mini-me" saddle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, the idea that your saddles could be prettier is laughable. They are so gorgeous! Absolute works of art! I would loooove to have a portrait of my first saddle! It's just starting to fall apart now- the leather is splitting off the seat :P Not to mention that I outgrew it 5+ years ago and insist on using it anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I have a saddle made by one of the hobby's top tackmakers on my desk, and I do think it's prettier than mine. It's narrower in the seat and twist and looks just a bit more elegant. However, it doesn't fit dolls as well. It's much gappy-er, and I do think that's a result of the smaller seat size.

    Since most of my customers show with dolls, I've made the decision to sacrifice a little bit of pretty for a lot more fit. I just wish I could have both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about prettier! The twist is something I really struggle with on my saddles. That and dolls...ugh, dolls! Thrills me that I don't have to deal with them as often as you, but when I do it's a doozy.

    I think sacrificing form for function is for the best! A pretty saddle won't do any good if it causes the rider to sit oddly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about the western saddles I make. The other saddle makers seem to have way better saddles than I could ever make. But my skills are improving! I know that with lots of practice I can make something just as pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky that my western saddles easily hold my dolls. I've tried making English saddles but they just don't come out well! So I bought a saddle made by kerioke on eBay and I love it! But I do wish I could learn how to tool my saddles! I can put silver on but I havnt tooled cause I don't know what tools I need! I think saying your saddles could be prettier is not possible! I would buy that in a heartbeat and if she isn't happy, something must be wrong

    ReplyDelete
  7. I AM thrilled! And can't wait to see it in person!

    ReplyDelete