Monday, October 22, 2012

The boring bits

Despite my good intentions, I didn't finish the "green" hackamore last night.  Fortunately, I was able to make quick work of it this morning.  I'm very pleased with the final results.
The rest of my day was devoted to the boring parts of tackmaking.  I dyed a lot of leather...
and prepared more than a dozen feet of lace. 
My studio is awash in leather scrapings.  No matter how hard I try to be neat, there are always far more on the desk and floor than there are in the trash can!
Prepping leather is even more tedious than prepping models.  However, it's one of the most important parts of tackmaking.  I'm pleased with my day's work, and I can't wait to turn all that prepared leather into something pretty!~

6 comments:

  1. Jennifer, when it comes to silver on a saddle, would you antique it or leave it just the way it is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Generally speaking, I prefer my silver bright and shiny. It really does depend on the saddle, however.

    Sorry. That's probably not very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is helpful. I would love to make a black saddle with a suede seat and silver that has a red tint to it but it isn't very realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My opinion--you should go for it!

    One of the nice things about model horse tack is that it doesn't have to follow the same trends as real horse tack. In fact, there are a lot of tack buyers who prefer "unusual" to "real world trendy."

    I tend to fall somewhere in the middle. I have a lot of real world tack experience, and although I appreciate some artistic liberties, other things are hard for me to embrace (like that pink and leopard print circus costume I made for Tiffany, haha!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the photo of your hands working on the lacing. It took me a moment to realize you must have had someone else take the photo! :)

    ReplyDelete