Sunday, January 15, 2012

How to make three tiered tassels, part two

Without further ado, here's the conclusion to yesterday's Three Tiered Tassel tutorial!

Three Tiered Tassels, Part Two

by Terri Wright

Step 8:  Garnish with desired Beads.
Step 9: Repeat about 35 times for Collar and 48 times for Costume.  (Yes, that is around 250 tassels!)
Step 10: Sew onto collar/costume equal lengths apart – use ruler for this one.  I usually go about 4-5 mm apart.  Don’t pull on the sets of tassels as it will cause them to stretch, and some will become too long.
Step 11:  Gently brush out the tassels so they sit evenly, making sure to tie up any loose ends of the tassel ties so they do not come apart.  
Step 12: Taking a small container of water and your eyebrow brush, dip the brush in the water and gently comb the tassels, making sure to wet each of them to keep them together, and help with placement.  If one strand is still too short, gently pull on the bottom tassel to even it up, but be careful not to tug too hard and ruin the set.  Generally, try to avoid pulling on them, it will cause the knots to tighten and the strand to stretch, coming out of place.
My tassels aren’t perfect, and I’ll be the first to admit it.  I don’t like the way they aren’t perfectly even, but I usually tell myself the reason is because the surface they hang on is not even.  A horse has shape to it, which affects the way they hang.  So if you aren’t happy with your style, perfect it and practice it until you become more satisfied.
Tada!  You can then proceed with the finishing elements of costume making! 
Here are several references that can direct you in costume making from the beginning to end:
Melody Snow’s kit 
And a couple other links to help you get started:
Jennifer Baker Wilson's tassel tutorial (you must be a paid member of Blab to read)
Abby Marston's braiding tutorial
Abby Marston's cowrie shell tutorial  
If you've enjoyed this series, please let Terri know by leaving a comment.  She's open to writing other Arabian costume tutorials in the future, so topic suggestions are also appreciated!

16 comments:

  1. Great tutorial I love how you use an eyebrow brush, thanks Terri!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd LOVE to see another tutorial :) Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I think I'll stick to leather. That looks like to much work, although beautiful!!! Can you please do a tack tips on making the raised nose and brow bands on an English bridle? I can't quite figure out how to do it and make it look right. Thanks so much for your tips!!!
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jo--I've covered that topic already. Check back through the old Tack Tips. I even picked apart an old bridle so everyone could see how the real thing is made!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome tutorial, I've always wondered how tiered tassels are made :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic article! More please. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial! This is one area of tack that I haven't gotten hooked on yet, and judging from the apparent time-consuming nature, I think I'll stick to leather ;) It sure is beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all your fantastically helpful tack tips! Would it be possible to do a tutorial on the different ways to attach the reins to the bit, as in, how to do the hook attachment and the buckle attachment methods?
    Also, have you ever seen any medieval jousting tack sets? It would be cool to make one, I reckon!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi 2Doggies (LOVE that name!)! I've noted your suggestion in my "future tack tips" file. No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

    I've probably seen more jousting sets in model scale than in real life. That's another item on my tackmaking bucket list!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! Thanks! Wow - as a complete beginner at anything to do with model horses, it's probably my ultimate ambition to create a complete jousting tournament scene :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the look of these costumes. But I can never seem to find the 1:9 scale rugs, all I seem to find are dollhouse scale. Would these world for a traditional sized costume?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love this :)
    I'd also love if you did a tutorial on how to braid the collar(?) and/or headstall (was it?)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is great. I always wondered how you did the tassel part. I have one query for the flat braids can one crochet a chain out of wool to attach the tassels to rather than try doing a flat braid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are as many ways to make tack as there are tackmakers. If you think something will work, you should definitely give it a try!

      Delete