Thursday, December 16, 2010

More old pictures

I had a lot of fun working on yesterday's post, mostly because it gave me a good excuse to sort through my big box of old model horse photos.  I could easily fill a dozen posts with pictures from that box, but for today I'll limit myself to a few of my favorites.  All of these were taken in 1989 and 1990.

First up is my beloved old Galiceno pony, Toby.  Even as early as 1989, I like to show my halter horses in halters!
Of course, I've always been more interested in performance than halter, and that's reflected in these old pictures.  I didn't own much in the way of tack and props back then, but I didn't let that stop me.  I just used whatever I had on hand and didn't sweat the details.  Sometimes it worked out pretty well as with this Phar Lap.  He's wearing a Breyer made saddle and a borrowed bridle.  I made the breastplate and leg wraps.
Same tack, different horse.
I really liked that old Stock Horse Mare!  Along with her foal, she found her way into a lot of my photos.
Here they are being led in from the pasture.  There's a good reason the doll has her arm strategically placed behind her back...
She's missing her left hand!  Fortunately, you only need one hand to lunge a foal.
This doll has all her body parts, but they aren't doing her much good.  The horse is a Hong Kong copy of the Breyer Semi-Rearing Mustang.  
Somewhere along the line, I decided that the Breyer saddle would look better without the tan knee pads so I picked them off.
Later, I added some panels.  I was really determined to make the most out of that old saddle!
Here's another look at my first Western saddle.  In case it's not obvious, this pony is showing in a Western Trail class.
Teniente is also shown competing in Trail.  He's wearing the my first set of "real" hobby tack.  I paid Carol Howard the grand sum of twenty five dollars to make this saddleseat set.  Although I was pretty impressed with it at first, eventually I attempted to "upgrade" it.  That didn't go very well.  I think I may still have the pieces in a box somewhere...
Oh, so many memories!  It's fun to remember what my favorite hobby was like before the internet, NAN and Braymere Custom Saddlery!

19 comments:

  1. It looks like you had lots of fun taking photos back then. I wish I had know about the hobby when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the horses being led in from the pasture. And it just goes to show that dolls are fun (even if they are missing body parts).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing these old photos--please keep them coming! I was active in the hobby during the same time and have recently found my way back to the model horse collecting world of the 21st century. Boy has it changed! I miss SASE's, waiting patiently for JAH, photo showing, and RRH'd horses :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would be more than happy to see 12 more posts like that one! I especially love the one of the horses coming in from the pasture- it's got great feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pics are very similar to my pics from the day - complete with Breyer and Breyer-modified tack...felt saddles and bridles, etc. I also got interested in tackmaking from that same 1981 JAH article :) it reminds me of simpler times, when we made tack for the fun of it and not so much for detail and accuracy. The hobby has advanced so much in those 30 years it boggles my mind sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You were much better at being young in the hobby than I was :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really would like to see more old model horse hobby posts! You demonstrate how even simple pieces can be arranged to a truly refreshing, lively impression! Doreen from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these recent posts! They definitely bring back the memories of my early years in the hobby! Keep them coming! More posts like this! :)
    -Allison P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been loving your photo retrospective. I have some of my old photos hanging around somewhere too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Old pictures are always fun to look at. I'm confused at the picture of the jumping horse with the rider that's falling off... was that a simulated refusal?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun! Very neat photos! I LOVE the last one though... Am I the only one thinking "I crush you! Ehn! Ehn!" ??

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the picture with the semi-rearing mustang -- I was actually thinking of setting that up myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this...ah, the "good old days"! Toby is so cute and that Haffie! LOVE IT!

    I remember when halters were REQUIRED to show in halter. I still feel a little weird just plopping a horse on the table in a halter class w/o a halter. Used to be the halter makes or breaks but if it is fitting and looks good for me it is A+.


    I used to love halters. Now most of mine are so old and worn I don't use them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seems a lot of people hanker after the days when showing was simpler and you didn't have to fuss too much over the details.

    But there is something so nice about creating a scene that just looks REAL!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! How neat to look back! Although I only started photo showing a few years ago, its always fun to look back and see how far I ahve come!

    I LOVE the pictures of the stock horse mare and foal. So cute and creative :).

    And the stories or your old tack were so funny! You can easily tell you were born for this ;).

    Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I especially love your Galiceno pony. I purchased one a few months ago, didn't realise it was a pony and thought this must be Classic size! Looked through my trusty Breyer book (bible) and realised that it was a Traditional!!! I love mine too. He is just what I'd go for in real life. I love ponies but unfortunately my height and weight!!! didn't let me enjoy ponies for long. I kept knocking over poles with my feet!! Had to move into horses, nice but not always as clever as ponies!

    ReplyDelete
  17. these are so cool! i love looking at old pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Found this post while looking for information on Galicenos. Bringing it up to today's topic (readers' suggestions), I vote for more posts like these. I love seeing pictures from before the internet-era of the hobby, since I was too young to be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete