Thursday, December 23, 2010

Model horse art

When it comes to model horses, I am the worst sort of pack rat.  

It's not just that I still own most of my childhood herd.  The problem goes far beyond that.  I also have thirty years worth of accumulated model horse stuff.  We're talking model horse magazines, Breyer manuals, dealer catalogs, show photos, show results, price lists...  basically all the normal collector type things.

There are, however, a few interesting oddities lurking in the stacks of model horse memorabilia. This envelope is a perfect example.
Although this is addressed to my then best friend, it's obvious that I never got around to mailing it.  I suspect I spent so much time on the envelope that I never got around to writing the letter!  Well, Sarah's loss is my gain.  I am very glad that I've held on to this piece of 1980's era model horse art.
Each of the envelope horses represents a model in either Sarah's or my collection.  Amazingly, I can still recognize each and every one of them.  How about you?

3 comments:

  1. Ooo, oooo, ooooo, there is Quanita's Brave!! Oops, I mean the Appy Performance Horse ;).

    I have a folder of my art too from when I was a kid. I am a black hole horse anything collector too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, that's Snow Leopard on the back of the envelope. He's hanging out with Sagr, the original Black Beauty, black Appaloosa Stock Horse mare, the Haflinger and El Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also see Old Timer, Misty, Khemosabi, the SHS (?), FAM, the Shire mare (or is it stallion--can never remember), the 5-gaiter, PAS, Hanoverian, and the Pacer :D

    I think it's time to send my best friend/hobbyist some snail mail ;)

    ReplyDelete