Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Grand designs

I started making English saddles in 2004. Those early saddles weren't terrible, but they weren't anything like the saddles I make now. I have spent the last thirteen years working on my construction techniques, leather working skills and, also, my saddle patterns.

Oh, those saddle patterns! I think I could make saddles for another thirteen years and never be one hundred percent satisfied with my saddle patterns.  

Still, I persist.
This week, I've been refining my cutback (saddleseat) saddle pattern. Here is the first saddle built from the new pattern.
Comparing a finished saddle to its reference photo is often humbling, but this isn't so bad.
There are a few little things I'd like to change, because there are always a few little things I'd like to change. Still, I feel like this is easily the best cutback saddle I have ever made.
As much as I would love to keep it, this saddle will be among my Breyerfest sales offerings. If you're in the market for brand new Braymere tack, be sure to find me in Lexington. I plan to have a lot in my sales box.

No comments:

Post a Comment