Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Redline Revival--Western Performance

The Western Division at the recent Redline Revival Performance Show was small but mighty and included such models as Karen Gerhardt's Royal Worcester Quarter Horse...and Jane Schneider's QH1 Ronin.
As is usually the case, Western Pleasure was the largest class. This is Teresa Buzzell's Lady Phase.
Val McEntee's Victrix.
Val's Arabian.
And Val's Lone Star.
Ronin in trail.
In addition to all her other talents, Tiffany Purdy is also a really good judge. After each class she took a few minutes to explain her placings. I particularly liked it when she compared two similar entries...
and described her reasons for placing one over the other.
Teresa's Red Okie Clay showing in trail.Apparently clinky foals make clinky poop. Who knew?
On that note, I'm going to sign off and head out. The kids go back to school next week so we've got just a few days left to enjoy our summer vacation.

8 comments:

  1. I've been wondering this for a while and since you're on the topic of showing and judging, what happens in a performance class when there is a model that the judge created? Do they just pretend it's not their work and go about judging the class, or is that model now allowed to show? I know judges are not allowed to judge their own work in halter, so I've always been curious about what happens in the performance ring when that issue arises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Performance people follow the same standards as the halter people and judges don't judge their own work. This is pretty straightforward with the horses themselves. It's a bit tougher (I think) with tack. I can usually pick out my own saddles, but honestly there are enough pieces of my work out there that I can't remember (or recognize) them all. Still, it's a concern and can make it difficult for a prolific tackmaker to judge performance in a lot of areas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to laugh at the clinky poop. Guess I need to get some resin poop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the photos as usual Jennifer :) And yes, clinky foals have clinky poop. It's special run poop after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo.... where do you GET clinky poop? Was that sold with a model?

    Also, can someone enlighten me as to what the gentleman crawling through the tube is up to? I assume it's some sort of trail/obstacle thing, but I've never seen the like, and I'm not really familiar with stuff Western people do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allie, I took a photo of the explanation card that accompanied that entry. It read:

    Gynkhana: "Barrel" Crawl
    A timed race where the rider dismounts, crawls through (in this case) a big section of PVC drain pipe, then remounts to return to the finish line.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this has got me wondering, why DID she place the one above the other, which one won? Great seeing more photos, thanks for posting them :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can answer that! The reins on the china QH were so long the horse could have stepped on them..seems like a small detail but when you have two really equal entrants thats what is comes down to. Potential safety issues in the real horse world always jump out to me when i judge, since I ride and show real horses. Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete