Saturday, July 24, 2010

Letting go

For the past sixteen years, I've had the great privilege of owning the best and most beautiful dog in the entire world. I first met Abbie when I was single, living in Tennessee and working full time on the A show hunter/jumper circuit. Together we've travelled thousands of miles and shared countless adventures. She's seen me through marriage, a cross country move and the birth of my children. It's impossible for me to imagine my life without Abbie in it.

Unfortunately, even the best dogs don't live forever. This summer has been hard on Abbie, and I've made the painful decision to let her go. Not today, not tomorrow but very, very soon.

If anyone has any NAN or Breyerfest pictures to share, now would be a great time to send them. Otherwise it's going to be a bit quiet here for the next week or so.

11 comments:

  1. Ah, Jennifer. I'm all teary for you. My version of Abbie (Cami) passed in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is never easy to make that decision, is it? We had to do it with our lovely little Sheltie Misty, as well as my mare Casi just this year. Sometimes they just can't be in our lives long enough. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many *HUGS* to you.

    And if you need a distraction, LMK.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so so sorry, Jennifer.. I didn't know this was to be so soon. I've made this decision with several rabbits and one best dog and I really feel for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So very sorry. We lost our 13yrold Schnauzer in 2006 and now as I look at my gray muzzled little papillon mix I dread the day I loose him.
    I'm sorry I do not have any NAN or Breyerfest, Ive never been to any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear of your hard decision, she is such a lovely dog. Heartfelt hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure that Abbie knows how much you love her. She couldn't have asked for a better Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry Jennifer. You and Abbie have been blessed to have had 16 wonderful years together, but it's never easy to say goodbye. Her passing will leave a hole in your life and in your heart but as time goes on the pain will ease and the hole will start to fill with all those wonderful memories. I will be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in tears just reading the comments. What keeps me strong is thinking what their lives would have been like without me as their mum and knowing that their time here was happy and safe. Thinking about you Jennifer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry, Jennifer. She was so lucky to have such a wonderful mom and enjoy so many fun years with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I had to let my beloved beagle go just a year ago. Hugs and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete