Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Various technical difficulties

It's official--December isn't a good month for Braymere Custom Saddlery. My kids' school used to be on a year round calendar. They were both on "A track" which meant they had the entire month of December off. Between the holidays and having them underfoot, I learned to not schedule any December tack orders. This year, however, the school changed over to a traditional calendar. I really thought I'd be able to keep working on tack right up until Christmas break. Wrong!

Despite my best intentions, I've really struggled to get anything done tackwise for the past two weeks. I have lots of excuses for my inability to work consistently--sick kids, delayed school starts due to snow, holiday shopping, trying to clean my house in anticipation of holiday visitors--but basically I think December's just too busy. I can't seem to find the time or space I need to sit down a work on anything in a focused manner.

I did manage to finish Tiffany's raffle saddle today. It took me almost twice the usual time to make, but I am satisfied with how it turned out. Two toned saddles can be tough. The contrasting colors make any asymmetries really noticeable. I had to redo the seat section twice before I was pleased with it.
Here's a picture of the free saddle on the free mule! I keep thinking of this one as "Tiffany's Mule Saddle" even though that's my mule not hers... I guess that's a sign that I should send the mule to Tiffany for paint!Tomorrow, I'll make the stirrup leathers and girth and that will more than likely be the last big order I finish in 2008. I haven't totalled up the numbers yet, but this was a good year for me. Thanks again to everyone who supported my little business--I could not do it without you!

1 comment: