Friday, December 12, 2008

Numbers

No wonder I'm tired! I just totalled up my saddle and harness output for the year and it's pretty impressive. I may not be the best tack maker working in the hobby right now, but I'm probably the most prolific.
I made thirty four saddles this year--thirty three of which were of the "English" persuasion. Half of that number was huntseat saddles--ten of which were regular traditional sized, three were traditional pony size, three classic, and one Pebbles. I also made eight dressage saddles (four traditional, two traditional pony, one classic and one Pebbles) and eight saddleseat saddles (five traditional, two traditional pony, and one Pebbles). The lone non-English saddle was part of Tiffany's pony sized Endurance set.I also made four complete racing sets, four harnesses (one pleasure, two fine, one marathon) and four packing sets. I did not count up bridles, halters, boots, breastcollars and various other accessories, but there were a lot of them!
And finally, here's the statistic that impresses my mother the most: In 2008, my tack went to hobbyists in six countries--the US, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, Australia and Ireland. I bet she never saw that coming when she bought me my first Breyer all those years ago!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! I don't even want to think of how few horses I put out this year. Then again, considering the year I've had, it's amazing I'm putting any out at all... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is amazing! How long does it take you to make, say, an average english saddle? Do you work on several at the same time?

    I really love looking at your tack, I'm enjoying your blog a lot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good questions Carol--I'll probably write up an entry about that one of these days. I usually make anywhere from 1-3 saddles at a time depending on how many like saddles I have on order. I don't actually know how long it takes hourwise. Usually I can get one or two done in two loooong days. I know I've made one in a day before but that's pretty painful for me and my entire family (although the kids are delighted when I order a pizza rather than cook dinner!).

    ReplyDelete