Friday, December 23, 2011

Friday Favorites

Earlier this year, I had the great pleasure of meeting one of my all time favorite tackmakers, Susan Bensema Young, at the Springamathing live show in Golden, Colorado.  Sue wasn't showing, but she brought several tack items to share, including the beginnings of what has turned into the most magnificent model sized parade set I have ever seen.
On her website, Sue refers to this as her "Big Saddle."  It combines all her signature elements--braiding, design, silverwork and tooling--and took seven months and more than two hundred and twenty four hours to complete.
The set includes one first--a corona pad made with the help of Melody Snow's new how-to book.  If anyone would like to send me a last minute Christmas gift, that would be a good one!
Here's a better look at the bridle and breastcollar.  I really appreciate the true parade style of this set.  This is not modern competition tack with extra decorations.  It's the real thing, just in 1:9 scale. 
Amazing work, Sue!  This truly is your masterpiece.

13 comments:

  1. HOLY *bleep*! That is just... awesome. I don't even know a single thing about parade sets but it looks to absolutely incredible. What detail! I completely believe it took that long to make, too. Don't tell me this thing is for sale - SBY had better be exhibiting it herself (if it was for sale, I'm sure someone would pay thousands). Many congrats to her for this amazing labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *to "be" absolutely incredible

    WV: "funist" - a person who likes to have as much fun as possible. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those Word Verifications crack me up sometimes. There have even been a few that would make good names for a model horse!

    Most of Susan's tack is commission work and this set is no exception. I do have a spot on her order list, but it's for a small item. I'd love to have one of her parade sets, but for that to happen, I'd have to win TWO lotteries--one to get a "large order" slot and another to pay for it!!!

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks for sharing those photos!! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching as Sue built this set. It has been amazing to watch. She is a joy to talk with and extremely helpful with any questions you ask. I also love her book the Guide!! This parade set is truly amazing. I'm glad to see it getting out other than just on Sue's website. Merry Christmas!!
    JO

    ReplyDelete
  6. can NOT wait for my bosal.... The mecate was incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That mecate is a Friday Favorite in and of itself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I can think is "ooh, shiny!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not the kind of tack I usually like in real life (too flashy for my liking lol) but just wow. O_O

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! Most parade sets I've seen haven't done much for me, but this is a league of its own. Inspiring to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jennifer, did you ever get the corona book?

    ReplyDelete
  12. No, Vicky, I'm sad to say I still do not have that. And I really, really, really want it... :)

    ReplyDelete