Friday, December 2, 2011

Good intentions performance

Recently, I've read a couple really good blog posts about setting and attaining performance goals.  Both Jamie and Alicia hail from Region Five which is arguably the most competitive performance region in the country.  If you can win in Texas, you can win anywhere, and these ladies have done just that.
Jamie Stine and her National Champion dressage horse
I really admire people who can make a plan and see it through.  I'm good at the first part. Research, list making and planning--those are all things I enjoy.  It's the follow-through that gives me fits.

Today I was cleaning my studio and came across an old notebook that contained this page:
Yup, that's the Foxhound Project circa 2001.  Ten and a half years have passed since I drew those dogs and I have completed exactly one hound. 

It's just... pitiful.

I know I'm not alone in this, so I think there should be a new kind of performance class for slackers people like me.  It could be called "Good Intentions Performance."  Each entry would be composed of the accumulated parts (in progress pieces encouraged!), research materials and a detailed description of how everything will fit together someday.  
Granted, this probably wouldn't fly in Texas.  Still, I think it's an idea whose time has come.  Ha ha ha!  I could fill a whole show table all by myself!

12 comments:

  1. Great idea! I would definitely enter that class... I just hope there isn't an entry limit per person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spots and FeathersDecember 2, 2011 at 5:39 PM

    You know I might have to add a class like this to my performance show next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know if you do. I might be able to send a prize for the winner.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea! I'd love to see one for painting, sculpture, customizing--class sizes would be astronomical ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only if I can have an empty table - no horse, tack, OR props!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post really hit a chord with me! LOL So many ideas and started projects, so little time. Roundapony looks great with all the hounds, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had a "nekked resin" class at my shows ;). At least you can get that body on a table instead of staring at it in a box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and just to clarify, it was a "nekkid resin" PERFORMANCE class ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This would be a great class to add at shows!!! I'm sure it would be a great hit!! love the pic of the pack too! very neat 'good intentions' one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This would be something for me, I have WIP projects all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Personally, I choose to admire everything you HAVE accomplished, because I think it's amazing! :-) I don't know anyone else as dedicated to a hobby with such beautiful results. I know a large part of it is for your livelihood but you also have so many beautiful horses and tack of your own, and you do a great job showing them. I look around my house at all the "one of these days" messes and can't help but feel ashamed. You're doin' fine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It would be great if one of those classes happened :) Maybe my half-finished "Breyer Horse" halloween costume could enter!
    http://halloweenhorse.blogspot.com/2008/10/breyer-model.html

    ReplyDelete