Wednesday, December 14, 2011

This week's project

I was so pleased with the bronc halter, that I decided to go ahead and make a matching bronc saddle.  Here is the result.

This was my main reference picture.  Like my saddle, this one is a combination of rough out and smooth out leather.
I used Shannon Granger's method for attaching the fenders.  In the past I've mounted the fenders to rings to get that swivel affect, but this was much easier.
Another first for me--the swells were covered so that the seams went down the back of the pommel rather than along the sides.  I rubbed the seat with gum tragacanth to give it a well used look.
The good news is that the saddle fits my bronc riding doll very well.  His legs tuck in under the swells just like I was hoping!
Unfortunately, the fit on the bronc is a lot more problematic.  Calamity Jane is a bit on the small side anyway, and he back is much too short for the saddle.  It almost looks like it would work because there's no back cinch or bucking strap.  Once they're completed, however, I'm afraid there just won't be enough room. 
Sigh.  I do have a couple other resins that would make plausible saddle broncs, but I can't help but think that what I really want is a Nitro...

9 comments:

  1. I love it, especially the shoulder seam and seat texture. I've never done a bronc saddle. Another besides Nitro it might look good on: Maggie Bennett's Superlumina (River Bluff Studios blog). Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks amazing!! I can see how CJ's back is a bit short for it, pity, because she would be the perfect mold for that event!!! I'm sure you will figure something out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sue! I have to admit, I'm really proud of those shoulder seams. Best part of the whole saddle, really!

    And the Superlumina idea is incredibly tempting. I just LOVE that sculpt and would like to be able to justify the purchase. Have you seen one in person? I have one of Maggie's other resins (Cooper) and he's small and delicate. If Superlumina is the same, it would never work. That's one of the reasons I thought of Nitro--Kitty tends to sculpt them BIG.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you too, Kismet! I think we were posting at the same time.

    I keep trying to get the saddle to fit on Calamity Jane, but the more I try, the more hopeless I realize it is. She doesn't even fit my pony sized barrel saddle and that's *tiny*... I guess she'll have to be a bareback bronc after all. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just BEAUTIFUL work, Jennifer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great and I like the used look!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so GOOD!! The first picture I thought was the real deal. It looks perfectly used.

    Masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just LOVE the worn look on the cantle and seat. It's something you don't see a lot in model-sized tack, but a really nice touch to make it seem less like it was just picked up from a saddlery and more like it's been through a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you made it look like its been worn on the top :)

    ReplyDelete