Thursday, September 15, 2011

Braymere

This is Braymere.  He was my very first model horse.
My older sister named him after a horse that lived at the boarding stable near our house.  I don't actually remember the real Braymere.  I couldn't have been more than three or four years old at the time I met him.
This was my younger sister's first model.  Her name is Rubber.
My mother chose these two thinking they would be sturdier and less likely to break than most of the spindly legged babies in Breyer's early 1970's line-up.  The reasoning was sound, but both of them ended up three legged anyway.  No matter.  They are still some of the most treasured models in my entire collection.
P.S.  This is my one thousandth post.

13 comments:

  1. o.o wow!! I started officially collecting breyer stablemates about three months ago. I got my first breyer when I was around 8 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still would like to get rid of those horses in my cellar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was not-quite-seven, and she was a black Appaloosa Scratching Foal. Miraculously, she still has four legs, although not for lack of playtime.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I always wondered where the name came from!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the same thing as Christine :). Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats to your 1,000th post!! ;-)) And very interesting to learn about the name Braymere! I started with a classics arab foal ......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice to read about the origins of "Braymere Custom Saddlery". I always wondered where the name came from... Congratulations on the impressive number of posts! Kind regards, Doreen from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my first ones is in the same mould that "Braymere" is in :)
    Thank you for posting all those for us! I know it has helped me a lot, and many others I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! :-) And yes, that's so neat that Braymere was a real horse. I thought you came up with the name using your own, since it sounded so nice and conjured up images of classic British horse country (at least it does for me). He's special...

    ReplyDelete