Sunday, September 11, 2011

No cigar

The first "no hassle boot" prototypes are finished and the results are...  somewhat disappointing.
The hidden wire boot is borderline acceptable.  It's easy to put on and take off, but it's bulky and doesn't cling as tightly to the leg as I would like.
And then there's the magnet boot...  Sigh.  I had such high hopes for the magnet boot, but so far all it's done is give me fits.  Although the magnets seem to be plenty strong on their own, I'm having trouble getting them to stick once they're incorporated into tack.  Even with the metal strip glued to the outside of the boot, they're just barely holding on.
So it's back to the drawing board times two.  I still think these ideas have a lot of potential, but it's obvious that I'm going to have to think outside the boot box to make that potential a reality. 

7 comments:

  1. What kind of metal have you used? Steel is the best, I found this out when the magnets kept attaching themself to my awl!!! I haven't experimented with the magnets in anything yet but I know you can buy sheets of thin steel on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the wire one isn't as tight as you hoped, but it still looks darned good. I would definitely pay money for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is annoying! But keep at it. If there is a way to make it work, you will find it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't give up. You might try skivving the leather thinner over where the magnets are placed which should make them more likely to contact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm not giving up. I learned a long time ago that things very rarely work out on the first pass. At least these were close!

    I don't think skiving will help much since the boot is skiver and the back of the strap is kangaroo lace skived down to the almost see through stage. I am more optimistic about swapping out the type of metal. I used the thinnest I had on hand, but I'm pretty sure I have some steel that is just a tick thicker. Definitely worth a shot! I have some new ideas for the wire boots, too.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Allie said, I would defiantly buy a set of wire boots if I had the extra money for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I played with my newly aquired magnets yesterday. Been looking for an easier / better way to make the plumes on my circus sets removeable. Had been making a hook type system. Since I had no thin metal that would attract to the magnets I used magnet to magnet. The only tricky part was getting the magnets facing the right way (as I'm sure you know magnets will repel each other too!). I was quite pleased with the results. Lindy P

    ReplyDelete