Thursday, March 31, 2011

SFTC Custom Halter

I love showing model horses in Colorado.  As a whole, our local community has everything you could hope for--great models, unique show halls and the nicest group of people around.  If there's one area we're weak in, it's Custom halter horses.  Custom divisions at our shows tend to be small, and a lot of the horses that do show up are somewhat less than top  flight.

The same can not be said of the Custom divisions at the Show for the Cure!  I was absolutely blown away by both the quantity and quality of the models showing there.  In addition to Tiffany's gang which I showcased yesterday, here are a few of the standouts.

First up is Elizabeth LaRose's lovely Guiness Stout.  This is an older piece by Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig.
There were a bunch of cute donkeys in the Long Ears class. 
Lots of work went into this guy!
Probably this was my favorite...
but the big winner was this Sue Kern piece.  Can you believe that this guy started out as a Breyer Cleveland Bay? 
This is a custom Alborozo by Tara Louiselle...
and this is a custom Salinero by Tara Louiselle!
Here's another Salinero.  This one was customized by Tiffany Purdy and was featured in a How-To article in Just About Horses
Tiffany also had a part in the creation of the next model.  She gave him the braided mane and tail, and Carol Huddleston did the finishwork.  
This is Laura Skillern's 2008 NAN Auction donation.  It's a Breyer Lonesome Glory customized to be a portrait of the young John Henry. 
Not sure, but I think both D'arry Jone Frank and Tiffany had a part in this custom ISH's creation.  Love the braids!
Another really nice custom ISH.  I have no idea who painted this, but the finishwork was quite lovely. 
One of the day's biggest winners was this Mustang by Sue Kern.
Ok, all you smart people--do you know what model this guy came from?
This classic sized Arabian mare was one of many nice vintage pieces by Lynn Fraley.
A custom Flash that wants to come live with me in Colorado.
Another beautiful vintage piece--this one is by Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig.
Further proving that good sculptures are timeless, the Custom Foal classes were filled with beautiful babies that were based on Maureen Love models. 
Liz LaRose is the owner of this Lynn Fraley piece. 
This little Proud Arabian Foal turned Marwari was a big winner.
I think that concludes the Show for the Cure photos.  Tomorrow we'll get back to tackmaking...  At least that's the current plan!

13 comments:

  1. More gorgeous models. <3 And I'm pretty sure the Sue Kern mustang mare started as an Esprit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No guesses on the mustang from me but I would sure love to give it a new home! Wowza! I'm quickly getting very interested in customs...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and me both, Jane! Of course, it helps that Breyer suddenly has so many new Eberl molds. Have you seen the Black Forest ponies yet? I want, I want!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, love guessing games! I'll say that the CM Sue Kern Mustang started life as a Goffert. ??

    And I'm thinking that cool Paint you liked was done by Ed Gonzales, though I'm not positive.

    Your comments about the CM division in CO made me want to plan a trip to a show out there!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, lovely! I really like the roan and that custom Flash is beautiful! :o

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think the mustang was a stage mom. The roaning/sabino markings are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I'm going to take a long shot and say the Mustang was originally a Huckleberry Bey Welsh pony mold. I truly have no clue, but it is exquisite! (As are all of them!) Thank you so much for sharing your photos - I get to live vicariously through you!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I totally love the lying down donkey and the John Henry! :D

    Yay, more guessing games!
    Hmm, it is hard to say, but something about the head and the body makes me think of the Breyer Nakota.
    Not very sure about it, though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blackthorne Studios is right. The mustang did start out as an Esprit. I had to check Sue's website to confirm this. There's no way I would have known just from looking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!!!!!! love love love the CM Salinero that Tiffany did!!!!!!! it's AMAZING!! the socks are to die for!!!

    and the mustang was Esprit!!! wow!! Sue really does do some AMAZING work!!!!!! i wish i could get something by her oneday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The mustang by Sue Kern was once an Espirt. =]

    ReplyDelete