Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Almost wordless Wednesday

Arabian racing is one of those events that I always think of as being more prevalent in the model world than real life.  Over the years, I've seen a lot of model Arabian racehorses, but it wasn't until this past August that I actually had a chance to see the real thing.  Today's pictures show a group of Arabian racehorses competing in a mile and one sixteenth race at Arapahoe Park in Aurora, Colorado.  The first group of photos follows the horses as the enter the paddock area, proceed to the walking ring and step onto the track for the post parade.  The next group will show the actual race.

Just in case anyone is interested in the particulars, Teresa and I were cheering for Clunk (#9) and So Big is Better (#3).  The eventual winner was Moulin Rouge MAF (#5).











6 comments:

  1. STill can't believe someone named an Arab "Clunk". "Clutz", yes, "Clunk" no. I've been around a lot of Arabs and really, none of 'em are clunks.

    So Big Is Better can still SO come home with me after brain surgery to a dressage career and tons of jammies. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think it's good I never had much of an interest in working at a racing barn. I just have NO patience for horses with no manners, and I'd get fired for having words with all the horses until they could walk quietly and not drag their handlers around, LOL!

    They are all very pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want So Big too. Notice that he is not dragging his handlers around in any of the pictures. He seemed like a nice sensible and not very fast horse. He will probably make someone a nice riding horse someday!

    As for Clunk... That really may be one of the worst names ever but it's kind of so bad it's cute!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clunk is a pretty one, at least :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm a few years late on this but I just googled Clunk and found the thread. I am the guilty one that gave hime that name. When He was about a year old his head was the same size it is now. The head fits him now but imagine it on a yearling? The name was given with affection and a little bit of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's so funny! Glad you found the post even if it's a couple years after the fact. I probably have a LOT more pictures of Clunk. If you're interested, email me privately and I can send them to you!

    :)

    ReplyDelete