Sunday, September 27, 2026

Go-with dog

Not every year, but more years than not, Seth and I set aside a day in September to visit the Colorado high country and take in some fall color.
We always bring a furry friend with us.
For the first six years or so, Emma was our go-to dog.
She liked riding in the car...
and going for little hikes in the mountains, 
but she did not enjoy walking around mountain towns or eating at restaurants.
"Just leave me in the car, Mom. I'm good."
She became a little more social with time - and Prozac - but really, traveling was never her favorite thing.
By the time Piper arrived on the scene, Emma was happy to retire.
My sweet girl. 
I miss her so.
Seth and I have maintained a two dog household almost continuously since 2003.
After Emma died, I said I wasn't ready for another dog, but I assumed that was a temporary feeling. Nearly three months later, I'm not so sure. More than any dog since the first dog, Piper feels like enough.
This little dog is good at everything.
She's good at home.
She's good in the car.
She's good at wilderness adventures.
She's good at urban adventures.
She gets along with other dogs.
She could be friendlier with people, but I don't hold that against her.
She doesn't really like horses either. 
Nobody's perfect, but truly, this dog comes pretty close.
As Seth and I were driving to Cripple Creek, we remembered all the places Piper has gone with one or both us.
"Which do you think is her favorite?" I asked.
Then we spent some time discussing the canine merits of mountains and canyons,
oceans and lakes...
and zoos and shopping malls.
Eventually, Seth said, "I don't think her favorite is a place. She just wants to go with us. She is our go-with dog."
He's right, of course. Piper is our one dog that does it all. Our go-with, be-with dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment