Saturday, October 18, 2014

The Russell Family Model Horse Museum, part three

The Russell Family Model Horse Museum, Part Three


The first two installments of the Russell Family Museum tour focused on E.C. Russell's horses, harnesses and carts.  In this post, we're going to look at other parts of the museum, starting with the workbench!
Part of Clair's workbench, along with some of his tools and supplies, has been moved into the museum and set by a window, as he would have liked it.
 This is a neat bit of equine history. Maine used to be famous for it's paper industry, which "back in the day" relied on horse teams to pull logs out of the woods and down to the factory (or river) for processing. International Paper was one of many, and they had their own harness shop to keep the tack in good repair. In the museum they have a copy (original is kept safely in a climate controlled room) of the harness blueprint from that harness shop. I thought this was super cool!
My mother's partner John pointed to this, over the door, and exclaimed, "Hey, there's no horses in this!" To which my mother replied, "Sure there are - About 400."  This is a wooden replica of Philip's truck, made by Clair.
The museum is a wonderful tribute to this incredible artist. His son Philip has grown into a craftsman in his own right. He actually built this truck from a bare frame. On the side he's written "Russell Family Model Horse Museum."
This brought tears to my eyes. On the air breather on each side of the truck, is this message:
Before we left, I had one more place to visit... Mr. Russell's workshop. 
This is where all that magic happened:
 Following are pieces that "didn't get into the museum," says Winnie.
There's also a little area for their kids and grandkids to play.:
I hope you've enjoyed the museum tour. If you're ever going to be in Central Maine, they'd love for you to stop in. There's no admission - Just the way E.C. always wanted it - and they love for people to see his works. 
I hope everyone has enjoyed this series as much as I have.  I really can't thank Eleda enough for allowing me to re-post her words and pictures here.  If you're in the market for a nice vintage Breyer (or My Little Pony), be sure to check out Triple Mountain Model Horses!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing all this! It's only the second real model horse museum I've ever heard of (behind BHR). My fondest wishes for your continued success.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled upon their site a year ago, and thought their deals were too good to be true! Now I know they are true! Beautiful museum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, somehow I missed this until now. I am blown away. What an AMAZING, magical place that museum must be and what a very special man to have created all that! I'm so glad the family has preserved his work so lovingly. I was going to look it up and see where it is, in case I could send my Maine-dwelling brother and family, but it doesn't even appear on Google! Where is the place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I know is in this series of posts. Perhaps you could contact Eleda through the Triple Mountain webpage and get more information?

      Delete