Sunday, November 14, 2010

Weekend work

Before I had a dedicated studio space, I didn't generally work on weekends.  There just wasn't enough uninterrupted work time to justify the effort of dragging out all my tools and supplies. That was both a blessing and a curse.  Now that I have a full time studio, I really can't get out of working on the weekend.  

Here's what's been occupying my extra time for the last two days.  Danielle sent me a resin pony and a saddle and asked me to finish the set.  So far I've built a matching girth and bridle.  Eventually there will also be stirrups and stirrup leathers.
Finishing someone else's tack set is a bit like customizing a Breyer.  You want the end result to look like it was all made by the same person.  This can be a bit challenging, but fortunately this time I had a really nice saddle to work with.  I had to vary a bit from my usual color palette, but otherwise no changes were necessary.  
And just for the record, that nice saddle was made by Emma Harrison of Parklane Tack.  The pony is an Eberl Austri who is in the process of being customized by owner Danielle Feldman.  Just as it takes a village to raise a child, it often takes a whole slew of artisans to create a top notch performance package, and I am pleased and honored to have a little piece of this one! 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    Make sure you build in some days off, I'm my own boss too and I know it can be really tempting to work 7 days a week, but it's not good for your spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks beautiful! Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun project! But shouldn't you be doing that sort of stuff today when it's snowing instead of this weekend, which wasn't that bad??? :)

    ReplyDelete