Friday, November 5, 2010

Tomorrow and tomorrow

I don't know why I thought I might get anything done today.  I spent all of the morning and most of the afternoon at a parent event at the kids' school.  This evening we have an extra child spending the night.  That just doesn't leave a lot of time for tackmaking!

Still, I did manage to squeeze in an hour or two.  The saddles finally look like saddles, but don't be fooled--there's still a lot of work left to do.
I also dyed a big batch of skiver.  I'll need to this to cover the panels and make the girths.
Perhaps I'll get them finished tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it!

3 comments:

  1. I'm curious... Do you use hand dyed skiver for all the saddle pieces, commercially predyed leather, or tooling leather for the main part of the saddle? I've always wondered about that. I use skiver for some of my pieces that have to be super thin, like some bridle parts, dyeing it myself (not as much patience with that kangaroo stuff as you have!). Looking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My saddles are a mix of petite tooling calf and skiver. I don't use any predyed leather at all. I wish--that would be so much easier--but I've never found anything that works as well as the petite tooling calf and skiver.

    Probably worth noting--none of the skiver parts are just skiver. In every case, they are skiver stretched over and glued onto something else. This includes the seat, knee pads and panels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps it's time to admit...I have an ulterior motive in reading your blog. These past few posts have been particularly useful in leading me toward my ultimate goal--learning ow to make an english saddle! (insert evil laughter here). Someday I'll figure it out! ;)

    ReplyDelete