Back in May, the company that employs me announced it had been sold to a liquidation company.
At first, it was really sad.Then - for the next two and a half months - it was extremely busy and extremely chaotic.But now?It's mostly depressing.Today, we went an entire hour without making a single sale. After sixty long minutes of busywork and doom scrolling, I looked over at Victoria and said, "I think it's time to dress the chicken."
At the same time we are going out of business, the store next to us - the store that moved into the space that used to be ours - is celebrating their grand opening.
We've been talking to the owners throughout their entire construction process, and as soon as the chicken arrived, I told them it needed a saddle. They probably thought I was kidding, but no. I always planned to make that happen. I was just waiting for a day like today.
Victoria and I walked over to their store with a pair of splint boots and a Dover cap in hand. We told them our plans, and suddenly there was just a little bit of panic. The chicken isn't permanently to his base, please don't knock him over. Also, his head and neck pop off.
I laughed and said I'd tacked up my share of uncooperative horses, both big and small. I think I could handle one chicken.
The bridle was, in fact, a challenge.But we were more than up to the task.After we were done, the liquor store guys came out and took pictures of our handiwork. It was impressive, if I do say so myself.And, you know... after we created this magnificent display, our foot traffic picked up, and we ended up having a decent day.




.jpg)











"No other animal can entertain with its own playfulness" the way a ferret can. <= Fara Shimbo. I'm not insulting you, I'm congratulating your sense of humor.
ReplyDeleteI still emphasize with you!! After so many years, it's hard to see an icon go out of business! And it's depressing to think about people being out of a job!
ReplyDeleteDidn't think it would happen to us either --but last week, we got the news that our only tack shop had been sold to a new owner and after October, would be located to a new location further North than it is now. Not only that, but after 35 years, the new owners will no longer be carrying Breyers!!
Getting that news is like being punched( or learning about the death of someone!!) Basically, because this store is considered the main Flagship store in our area! We have a few TSC's in our area --but they do not carry Breyer's year round and with TSC only doing online orders--people(like me) who liked to look over the models for their detail and shading are basically out of luck!!
On the other hand,(for good news) that chicken looks good --but hysterical! Try doing that to an ostrich! Hah!!
I missed this when it was first posted but I am so glad I saw this! Tacking up that chicken is hysterical! I'm so glad they let you do it, sounds like a much needed serotonin boost. Def made me laugh so I got a boost as well.
ReplyDeleteKaren from MN