Sunday, July 23, 2017

Silver Charm

Of all the stars living at Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Farms, none shines more brightly than Silver Charm.
Silver Charm is a multiple grade I Classic winner. He was trainer, Bob Baffert's first really big horse, and is best known for winning two thirds of the Triple Crown in 1997.
Photo by Charles Bertram, Lexington Herald-Leader
Ironically, Touch Gold, the horse who spoiled his Triple Crown bid, now lives next to him in at Old Friends.
Nearly everyone in our group was there to see Silver Charm... 
and he was happy...
to pose...
with all of us! 
Jodi, Mackenzie and I were not the only hobbyists in our group. There were several other Breyerfest attendees, including Jill O'Connor from Vermont.
It's not every day that I get to hang out with a Kentucky Derby winner, so I took lots...
and lots... 
and lots of photos. 
Because so many people had come expressly to see Silver Charm, our guide allowed us to spend a lot of time with him. Eventually, however, we were forced to move along. He stood for a moment and watched us go. Then he walked down the fence line to wait for his next group of admirers.
Silver Charm is a kind, distinguished horse and a true champion. I am so glad I got to meet him.

1 comment:

  1. Your photos of him are much better than mine! I had a tough time getting the ears up at the same time as head over the fence. But then, I'm not surprised. ;) We're so lucky he's a gentleman and likes to be petted and fussed over!

    ReplyDelete