Friday, July 20, 2012

Arts and crap

Several months ago, my friend Teresa borrowed one of my home made doll stands to use in a performance entry.  "Those are really easy to make," I told her.  "I can show you how."

Then, of course, I forgot all about it.

A month later, we were both at another live show.  This time I was judging, and I happened to mention that one of Teresa's jumps would look better with an additional rail.  Teresa said, "I know, but I don't have a rail that's long enough."

"Teresa!"  I exclaimed with exasperation.  "Rails are dowels.  Anyone can make them!"

"Yeah," she responded.  "I just never get around to doing it."

"We need to have an Arts and Crap day," I said.

I am not the most organized person so it's taken me another couple months to pull this together, but tomorrow I will--finally!--host my first ever BCS Arts and Crap Day.  I am expecting eight or nine local hobbyists, and we will spend the morning working on all kinds of project including Teresa's jump rails and doll stands,
tackmaking, 
prop making,
and even a little bit of resin prepping and repair. 
The studio is much too messy for tours, but I've pulled out some of my best new treasures for a little show and tell.
My house is pretty small so we will be...  cozy...  and poor anxious Darcy is likely to bark the entire time.
Still, it ought to be a lot of fun for everyone involved.  Expect a full report sometime tomorrow!

9 comments:

  1. Arts and Crap! Arts and Crap! Arts and Crap! Arts and Crap! Arts and Crap!

    I found two long dowels, two things of craft paint and various things that I need to just plain fix or cannibalize.

    Oh, and I need to get the beer I owe you. And a check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you please get me some beer now? I am hot and thirsty!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic!!! Next time you visit IL, please encourage Tiff to host some Arts and Crap at her house and I'll come! Or I can host if you two want to make the drive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come! We need an Arts and Crap on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If only I wasn't half a world away! That sounds exactly like my kind of afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arts and crap I thank i'm goin to have my own mini one with all my new goodies from the swap meet at the clarion :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you all have fun!
    Can't wait to see how you go!

    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun day! Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah cool, I wish you and your guests much fun!

    ReplyDelete