Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Almost wordless Wednesday

Perhaps the greatest challenge I face as a tackmaker is being asked to create something with which I have no familiarity.  I want my saddles to be as realistic as possible, not just in style and appearance but also in actual construction.  Nothing makes me crazier than having to guess at the details.  

Because of this, I get pretty darned excited every time I run across a group of good tack reference pictures.  My friend and fellow tackmaker, Heather Moreton posted this group on her Facebook page a couple weeks ago.  They were taken at the 2006 Akhal Teke Symposium which was held at (I think!) the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky.  Many thanks to Heather for allowing me to repost a few of the best pictures here!














11 comments:

  1. Oh cool! thanks for sharing!

    Love the colours of the horses! *Drool*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jase told me the other day that he wants a Teke - he found a photo on Reddit :D Other than they are spendy, I'm kinda OK with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do the bands around their necks mean? I see that all of them, even the babies, have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Supposed to ward off spirits, bring luck. a triangle pouch is sometimes added containing small herbs, beads, relics as omens to aid a sick or injured horse. They are called alaja.

      Delete
  4. That's a good question, Randa. I wish I knew the answer, Honestly, I don't even know what those things are called! Of course that won't stop me from making some collars for my own Akhal Tekes, especially now that I have some good reference pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The neck bands were originally used to ward off evil and for good luck I believe.

    Teke's were originally bred and ridden by nomadic peoples in Turkey and surrounding areas.

    I would give and arm AND a leg to have one of these horses!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think I just found my next costume......
    Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish there was a photo of the first horse from the front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jennifer, if you need better pictures of the green tack, that is the Kentucky Horse Park's set and I can go in and grab close up pictures whenever you want. I can get better shots of any of their tack really.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, Cindy! I always want good pictures of tack. I get especially giddy over pictures that show parts you can't see when the saddle is on a horse--i.e. panels and rigging and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, they are interesting-looking! (Not into the Cremello, though, that one's pretty creepy)Yes, that IS the KHP, by the way. The stuff the horses are adorned with is fascinating: I didn't know people over here had any of that traditional tack available. Fun for you!

    ReplyDelete